Is this why we are in the state we are in?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Twice-the-man, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a leaflet through my letter-box last night from some local Labour clown scratching around for a vote to get his nose in the trough, normally this would go straight into the recycling but I decided to read it.

He is 26. Politics student. Research assistant to 2 x Labour MPs in Westminster for 2 years. Worked in Local Government as diversity something or other no doubt.

What life experience does this man possess? What wealth has he created? What service has he carried out in the name of his country? What responsibility has he shouldered? Where has he learned the lesson of his honest mistakes?

My question is: is this symptomatic of the current class (or lack of it) of the political elite we are lumbered with? Just professional politicians who can argue blue is black all day long but who actually have no experience of the real world whatsoever.
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

In a nutshell that is precisely the problem.
  3. Seems that way doesn't it...

Then again, every known genius did their best work before the age of 30. My view is that politicians should reflect society, a few younger ones should be a healthy thing.

Not too many mind.

4. Yup, that's about the size of it. Do buGGer-all meaningful for a few years after you leave school, then hop onto the gravy-train for the rest of your life.....barstuds!
  5. Excellent questions best posed to the man himself in letter form I would have thought.

Get along to his next neighbourhood forum if he doesn't answer promptly, and pose the questions again in public.

In fact, pose the question to any candidate.

At 26, you very rarely have the life skills needed for such a task.

There really should be a minimum age for MP's , and a points process for selection. Not by how many times you've been humped as a researcher , but by what you've actually done with your existence.
  6. Yep that's it!
  7. to be fair a genius would be wasted in westminster in fact in most orginisations fortunatly we don't get that many :roll:

ideal candidates people who have knocked about abit and achieved something seem abit of life not just spent some years in the city or as lawyers (nothing wrong with a few city bankers and a few lawyers but thats hardly the make up of the uk population).
    old labour did use to throw up some geniune ex workers who'd got there hands dirty at some point.
    lawyers politcal students lobbyists and research assistants may know how the system works but are also part of the system.
    not exactly going to be good at speaking there own mind.
  8. We used to be run by a clique of aristocrats completely unrepresentative of the normal british population, and they built the greatest empire the world has ever known, and now we're run by a bunch of lawyers and social workers who haven't got a clue. I'd take 'ruthless competance' over 'resembles me and makes me feel squishy about myself' any day of the week...I think you need Lawyers to write laws, and you need a balance of other people in Parliament as well, but the primary qualification should be proven competance in a field that relates to Parliament's work surely? Maybe Ministerial positions should be restricted to those with relevant experience- Defence minister former military officer, health secretary a doctor etc...
  9. What's he campaigning for? MP or seat on the council?
  10. That's most often said about scientists, but it wasn't always true even for them. Examples being Darwin and Einstein.

It's certainly not true of writers, artists, statesmen or even some kinds of sportsmen (look at the ages of people who set marathon records. The current world record was set by a man who was 35 at the time, and you have to go back quite a few years before you find somebody who was under 30 when they set it).

Some studies suggest that there's a better connection between creative/scientific output tailing off and getting married, rather than it being directly age related. Some of Einstein's best stuff was written when living apart from his first wife.
  12. I live in a very high Student population area ( am one myself although not a coventional student) and two years ago two students aged 20 &22 ran for the local council, this was after years of residents moaning that students don't care and were sending the area into a downward sprial, they were like a breath of fresh air for both for the area ( starting a student/resident panel) and the council they took over from two old timers who had been on the council for for years and years funishing their own back pockets more often over the needs of the residents and made the older members of the council realise that it was no longer a job for life/job for the boys.

Some times young blood can be a good thing, just as the elderly shouldn't be writtern off nor should the young, they aren't all lets go out get drunk and get laid and not give a dam about what tomorrow brings

WW ( aged 30 years and 5 months)

edited for mong spelling
  13. The quality (I use the word advisedly) of our MPs is directly related to the system of government we employ. We've allowed party politics to corrupt our political way of life to the extent that any serious discussion of a problem degenerates into 'you did it first!' 'well you did it worst!' cat-calling more redolent of a primary school playground than a sober forum of national policy-making.

You don't get healthy fish from polluted water. Deliberative democracy, folks. It's the way ahead. We have the technology, all we need is s few less greedy bastards holding us in contempt.
  14. Wedgy Benn was on the radio yesterday, talking about a book on parliamentary speeches. He talked about categorising politicians into 2 camps; the signposts and the watchcocks (IIRC), saying that the latter are fickle sycophants, worried only about opinion polls and the next election, whereas the former are politicians of conviction. He lamented that there were fewer in the latter camp than there were when he started in politics. I think that he probably has a point, which would help explain the shoddy disregard for the taxpayer and any moral standards displayed by a sizeable proportion of our elected representatives.
  15. Amen.