is this true ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sirbhp, Oct 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I have not heard of this before but a chap I met this morning said his mum was charge 10 shillings for her husbands funeral. Hubby was in the Kings Royal Rifles and had been killed by the yanks in Italy . Apparently the wife received a bill to help cover the cost of the grave in a military grave in ITALY.

I think it might have been a deduction from his pay for barrack room damages or return of an overpayment of some sort.
  2. all spouses have to pay for the plot
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yes and no. Nobody paid for a funeral or plot or anything like that. What people paid for were personal or religious inscriptions on the headstones. CWGC Headstone Inscription Policy - Cemeteries and memorials - Great War Forum Refers to the Great War but I'm pretty sure similar rules applied in WW2.

Incidentally blue on blue is a fact of life on ops. Brits also killed other Brits and American. Perjorative statements like 'killed by yanks' doesn't really help.
  4. If the departed was killed by American fire then 'he was killed by the yanks.' I'm sure the OP meant nothing by it and I really don't see why you thought you had to add that last comment.
    • Like Like x 1