Is this true about the army?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by UberSoldat, Sep 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just found this PDF file with aload of rants about the army, what do you think?

Army Leaflet

2. Yeah its all true.

Just remember its not a job its an adventure :wink:

3. I just found this link with a load of rants on about the Army. What do you think?

4. Who the fuck are they?????????????????????????????????

5. THINKING OF JOINING THE ARMY?
    TEN REALLY IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU DECIDE
    1.The Army’s main job is FIGHTING. Expect to KILL PEOPLE and maybe BE KILLED.
    2.Being a soldier is very RISKY. Apart from being killed, you could end up ILL,
    DISABLED or TRAUMATISED.
    3.Once you’re in the Army, it’s really really HARD TO GET OUT.
    4.But sometimes the Army SACKS SOLDIERS EARLY to save paying them a full
    pension.
    5.And when you are out, it’s HARD TO FIT IN to civilian life again. Many exsoldiers
    end up HOMELESS.
    6.Being in the Army is all about OBEYING ORDERS. You WON’T BE ALLOWED to have
    YOUR OWN OPINIONS.
    7.You could be sent to fight wars which are ILLEGAL, like the Iraq war. If you refuse,
    you could be COURT-MARTIALLED.
    8.And DON’T EXPECT to have all THE KIT you need when you get there. Army FAILURES
    like this could put your LIFE AT RISK.
    9.Are you prepared for the ARMY EXPERIENCE? – living like sardines in Army barracks
    in DEPRESSING PLACES; loads of RULES; PUNISHMENT for disobedience;
    institutional food. You may be BULLIED..
    10. If you really want adventure, fun, qualifications, money and to see the world, there
    are other ways to achieve these things. YOU DON’T NEED TO JOIN THE ARMY! (or
    the Navy or the RAF).
    For more details contact: Cymdeithas y Cymod (The Fellowship of Reconciliation in
    Wales), c/o 3 Tai Minffordd, Rhostryfan, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 7NF
    www.cymdeithasycymod.org.uk E-mail post@cymdeithasycymod.org.uk
    After you've joined the army it will be too late to change your mind – now
    is the time BEFORE you join to think carefully if you are prepared to KILL
    somebody and to accept the risk to BE KILLED YOURSELF.
    "Look into it first, before you join up. They tell you you'll get a career and see the world.
    It’s not like that. It’s all false. It's just a con to get you to sign. Gordon was sent straight
    into war after 6 months training. The only part of the world Gordon saw was Iraq. For a
    young life, it's not worth it."
    Rose Gentle, mother of Gordon Gentle who was killed in June 2004 by a roadside bomb in
    Basra.
    “When young people under 18 join the Army, they only have the chance to leave
    between the 2nd and 6th month of service. After that they must serve until they
    are 22. They cannot buy themselves out. They cannot obtain a discharge…
    Absence without leave is punishable by detention.” AT EASE Advisory Service for
    servicemen and their families.
    “The Army admitted for the first time yesterday that four soldiers found with fatal
    gunshot wounds at a Surrey barracks may have died as a result of a regime of bullying
    and inadequate supervision and care.” Telegraph, March 5th 2004.
    “A devastating report by the National Audit Office... showed that British troops
    invading Iraq were deprived of vital equipment, including body armour and
    protection against chemical or biological attack, as well as such basic items as
    desert boots and clothing." Guardian, Jan 13th 2004.
    “According to the [National Gulf Veterans and Families] Association, 606 Gulf
    servicemen have died from ill health and a further 5,933 have applied for a war
    pension due to disablement.” BBC News, Feb 3rd 2004.
    “It is common practice around the world for army recruits to be treated brutally in
    the early stages of their training. The individual is broken down through physical
    and mental pressure before being rebuilt in the form required by the military. The
    recruits are verbally abused, made to perform pointless menial tasks, forced onto
    long marches carrying heavy equipment…” ‘Design for a Life’ by Patrick Bateson and
    Paul Martin, Vintage, 2000.
    AT EASE is a free, confidential, independent advice service for members and
    would-be members of the Armed Forces and their families.
    28 Commercial St, Aldgate East, London, E1 6LS
    Tel: 020 7247 5164 (Sun 5-7pm only)
    Web site: www.atease.org.uk Email: atease@advisory.freeserve.co.uk
    This leaflet was produced by
    Cymdeithas y Cymod (The Fellowship of Reconciliation in Wales)
    c/o 3 Tai Minffordd, Rhostryfan, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 7NF
    www.cymdeithasycymod.org.uk E-mail post@cymdeithasycymod.org. uk

none of its true fella wink wink.

6. I prefer this one, but the other seems about as I remember it - oh happy days

7. Some Welsh bunch trying to stop their countymen from following the flag of another country (Although Wales is actually a principality, not a country).

As with any other hand out from a lobby group, based on some truth but not exactly accurate or balanced.

8. Obversely written by a anti war person. This part made me laugh my arse off

“When young people under 18 join the Army, they only have the chance to leave
    between the 2nd and 6th month of service. After that they must serve until they
    are 22."

edit i was right

[​IMG] <-- Dickheads

9. Can we start a war with them???? That'll learn 'em

10. I joined for the skiing, hard drinking, rock climbing and the free clothes.

Two out of four isn't bad.

11. Yes, it's all true. It's a shame Army recruiting isn't as honest as this - it would make a refreshing change from the old 'adventure training every month' b*llocks.

edited due to mlaarness

12. :D Actually the Goverment have now declared that we're a country.....

Sorry :wink:

13. I just sent them a little message, hope I didn't go too easy on them for my fellow arrsers liking.

14. To be honest I joined cos of the "Frank" advert in the '90s

I wonder what Franks doing?
    He joined the Army, I bet it's really boooooring

Cue abseiling, canoeing, mountaineering, yachting, drinking, fun, fun, fun rounding off with a sunset stroll along a beach with some rampant young hottie.

I think I must have gone to a different unit than Frank

15. oooh, let me guess.....ummmm....was it number 2 and 4 perchance??

Well, it could be worse this could of happened to you!

"The recruits are verbally abused, made to perform pointless menial tasks, forced onto long marches carrying heavy equipment"

8O