Is this true about the army?

I just found this link with a load of rants on about the Army. What do you think?

THINKING OF JOINING THE ARMY?
TEN REALLY IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU DECIDE
1.The Army’s main job is FIGHTING. Expect to KILL PEOPLE and maybe BE KILLED.
2.Being a soldier is very RISKY. Apart from being killed, you could end up ILL,
DISABLED or TRAUMATISED.
3.Once you’re in the Army, it’s really really HARD TO GET OUT.
4.But sometimes the Army SACKS SOLDIERS EARLY to save paying them a full
pension.
5.And when you are out, it’s HARD TO FIT IN to civilian life again. Many exsoldiers
end up HOMELESS.
6.Being in the Army is all about OBEYING ORDERS. You WON’T BE ALLOWED to have
YOUR OWN OPINIONS.
7.You could be sent to fight wars which are ILLEGAL, like the Iraq war. If you refuse,
you could be COURT-MARTIALLED.
8.And DON’T EXPECT to have all THE KIT you need when you get there. Army FAILURES
like this could put your LIFE AT RISK.
9.Are you prepared for the ARMY EXPERIENCE? – living like sardines in Army barracks
in DEPRESSING PLACES; loads of RULES; PUNISHMENT for disobedience;
institutional food. You may be BULLIED..
10. If you really want adventure, fun, qualifications, money and to see the world, there
are other ways to achieve these things. YOU DON’T NEED TO JOIN THE ARMY! (or
the Navy or the RAF).
For more details contact: Cymdeithas y Cymod (The Fellowship of Reconciliation in
Wales), c/o 3 Tai Minffordd, Rhostryfan, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 7NF
www.cymdeithasycymod.org.uk E-mail post@cymdeithasycymod.org.uk
After you've joined the army it will be too late to change your mind – now
is the time BEFORE you join to think carefully if you are prepared to KILL
somebody and to accept the risk to BE KILLED YOURSELF.
"Look into it first, before you join up. They tell you you'll get a career and see the world.
It’s not like that. It’s all false. It's just a con to get you to sign. Gordon was sent straight
into war after 6 months training. The only part of the world Gordon saw was Iraq. For a
young life, it's not worth it."
Rose Gentle, mother of Gordon Gentle who was killed in June 2004 by a roadside bomb in
Basra.
“When young people under 18 join the Army, they only have the chance to leave
between the 2nd and 6th month of service. After that they must serve until they
are 22. They cannot buy themselves out. They cannot obtain a discharge…
Absence without leave is punishable by detention.” AT EASE Advisory Service for
servicemen and their families.
“The Army admitted for the first time yesterday that four soldiers found with fatal
gunshot wounds at a Surrey barracks may have died as a result of a regime of bullying
and inadequate supervision and care.” Telegraph, March 5th 2004.
“A devastating report by the National Audit Office... showed that British troops
invading Iraq were deprived of vital equipment, including body armour and
protection against chemical or biological attack, as well as such basic items as
desert boots and clothing." Guardian, Jan 13th 2004.
“According to the [National Gulf Veterans and Families] Association, 606 Gulf
servicemen have died from ill health and a further 5,933 have applied for a war
pension due to disablement.” BBC News, Feb 3rd 2004.
“It is common practice around the world for army recruits to be treated brutally in
the early stages of their training. The individual is broken down through physical
and mental pressure before being rebuilt in the form required by the military. The
recruits are verbally abused, made to perform pointless menial tasks, forced onto
long marches carrying heavy equipment…” ‘Design for a Life’ by Patrick Bateson and
Paul Martin, Vintage, 2000.
AT EASE is a free, confidential, independent advice service for members and
would-be members of the Armed Forces and their families.
28 Commercial St, Aldgate East, London, E1 6LS
Tel: 020 7247 5164 (Sun 5-7pm only)
Web site: www.atease.org.uk Email: atease@advisory.freeserve.co.uk
This leaflet was produced by
Cymdeithas y Cymod (The Fellowship of Reconciliation in Wales)
c/o 3 Tai Minffordd, Rhostryfan, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 7NF
www.cymdeithasycymod.org.uk E-mail post@cymdeithasycymod.org. uk

none of its true fella wink wink.

Some Welsh bunch trying to stop their countymen from following the flag of another country (Although Wales is actually a principality, not a country).

As with any other hand out from a lobby group, based on some truth but not exactly accurate or balanced.

Obversely written by a anti war person. This part made me laugh my arse off

“When young people under 18 join the Army, they only have the chance to leave
between the 2nd and 6th month of service. After that they must serve until they
are 22."

edit i was right

<-- Dickheads

B

Biscuits_AB

I joined for the skiing, hard drinking, rock climbing and the free clothes.

Two out of four isn't bad.

Yes, it's all true. It's a shame Army recruiting isn't as honest as this - it would make a refreshing change from the old 'adventure training every month' b*llocks.

edited due to mlaarness

Plant-Pilot said:
Some Welsh bunch trying to stop their countymen from following the flag of another country (Although Wales is actually a principality, not a country).
As with any other hand out from a lobby group, based on some truth but not exactly accurate or balanced.
:D Actually the Goverment have now declared that we're a country.....

Sorry :wink:

I just sent them a little message, hope I didn't go too easy on them for my fellow arrsers liking.
To whom it may concern,

I am writing as an ex member of the British Armed Forces. I have recently read an article from yor website deriding the Army especially which I can only imagine was written out of ignorance and self importance.

You are an organisation that promotes the non violent resolution of differences. While this is a noble ideal it is inherently flawed. Non violence is all very good but the reason that you are able to hold your beliefs is by the sacrifice made over the ages by young people who have gven their lives in the defence of this nation.

It may seem impossible for you to imagine but you are not the people who most wish for peace. Nobody dreams of peace more than the fighting forces who have to bear arms to protect the peace of others including ourselves.

You may not agree with the curent conflicts happening around the world, I myself do not agree with the situation in Iraq but everyone in this nation should support the thousands of young men and women who are there, miles away from their loved ones, in fear of their lives daily.

Your parent organisation calls itself IFOR? I find this highly ironic as in the mid '90 I was a member of a group called IFOR, this being the NATO led Peace Implementation FORce providing safety and protection for the civillian population in Bosnia Herzegovinia. I spent 6 months there, my own life was in danger on a number of occasions but I was proud to have done my duty, as an armed force we gave the confidence to many people that they could return to their homes safe in the knowledge that we would betheir to protect them and their loved ones. A member of my unit died there but as a group indirectly we saved the lives of
thousands of people there. I personally directly saved the lives of seven people. How many people can any of your member say that they have directly saved. A non violent philosophy would not have been able to achieve the same result.

If I have offended your feelings then I would apologise except that your comments have offended the honour and memories of the hundreds of thousands of British soldiers, sailors and airman who have given their lives to protect this fine nation, going along with the philosophy of:

"I may not agree with what you are saying. But I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

Yours sincerely

D. Mac*****

Ex Private
Royal Logistic Corps

To be honest I joined cos of the "Frank" advert in the '90s

I wonder what Franks doing?
He joined the Army, I bet it's really boooooring

Cue abseiling, canoeing, mountaineering, yachting, drinking, fun, fun, fun rounding off with a sunset stroll along a beach with some rampant young hottie.

I think I must have gone to a different unit than Frank

Biscuits_AB said:
I joined for the skiing, hard drinking, rock climbing and the free clothes.

Two out of four isn't bad.
oooh, let me guess.....ummmm....was it number 2 and 4 perchance??

Well, it could be worse this could of happened to you!

"The recruits are verbally abused, made to perform pointless menial tasks, forced onto long marches carrying heavy equipment"

8O

IT_Guy said:
"The recruits are verbally abused, made to perform pointless menial tasks, forced onto long marches carrying heavy equipment"

8O
I believe that is what is known as a "JOB", something these tree hugging, sandal wearing, beard twiddling fcukwits obviously wouldn't know about.

chimera

LE
It always amuses me that these tossers that lecture us about non-violent conlflict resolution never seem to want to offer their services to getting in amongst the real conflict areas of the world to help fix them - so them we could all come home.

mac_uk said:
I just sent them a little message, hope I didn't go too easy on them for my fellow arrsers liking.

mac_uk......if they reply will you be kind enough to post their response?.....i would be very interested to read it!

starfire said:
mac_uk said:
mac_uk......if they reply will you be kind enough to post their response?.....i would be very interested to read it!
I'll post any response I get when it happens, probably be along the lines of shut up you ignorant baby murdering peasant napalming heathen.

Had the same thing with fcuking annoying tudents doing war protests when I was based in Abingdon and went to Oxford on the lash. They could never answer the how many people have you personally saved question either.
God it's good to be great!