Is this too controversial ?

Have just read a back number of my old school magazine for 1965 for a bit of nostalgia I came across the following subject by the School Debating Society. The Motion was strangely carried in favour by 14 votes to 2 proving that Freedom of Speech was alive and well in Scotland.

The Motion Was:

WAS HITLER REALLY SUCH A BAD CHAP - OR SIMPLY MISUNDERSTOOD !

After all he cut unemployment and immigration at a stroke .....

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
how did you arrive at the conclusion that he was misunderstood then? what was the reasoning behind it?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I remember speaking to an LEC Dental Nurse in Paderborn, who when the subject of Hitler somehow came up, said " He was ok until he turned mad"
So decided in for a penny, in for a pound, I ask and when was that.
"oh, when he invaded Russia" was the reply!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember speaking to an LEC Dental Nurse in Paderborn, who when the subject of Hitler somehow came up, said " He was ok until he turned mad"
So decided in for a penny, in for a pound, I ask and when was that.
"oh, when he invaded Russia" was the reply!
she might have a point there. ;)

seriously though, if he hadnt been so keen on shipping off 'undesirables' to camps, and stopped at Poland, would france and england (and then later of course Russia) have been that keen to take him on? he did drag germany out of economic chaos after all.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm very pro his pikey policies. Less so the invasion of the UK policy and concerted attempts to kill both my Grandads policies.

Edit: Just noticed that this isn't posted in the NAAFI. Please ignore the above suggestion that our beloved travelling folk be sent to camps.

how did you arrive at the conclusion that he was misunderstood then? what was the reasoning behind it?[/QUOTE]

How the Hell should I Know ! I was only 12 at the time and too young for the Debate. I was only just about getting interested in my Housemaster's daughter - the elder one that is.

But I had to do an LEC interview of a rather lovely looking 40+ single lady whose father was an SS officer during the war and she seemed to think he did a lot for the German people - so he can't have been all bad !

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if Pikeys have Padres :)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
how did you arrive at the conclusion that he was misunderstood then? what was the reasoning behind it?[/QUOTE]

How the Hell should I Know ! I was only 12 at the time and too young for the Debate. I was only just about getting interested in my Housemaster's daughter - the elder one that is.

But I had to do an LEC interview of a rather lovely looking 40+ single lady whose father was an SS officer during the war and she seemed to think he did a lot for the German people - so he can't have been all bad !
so you'd like us to comment on the conclusion that you reached all those years ago, without being able to tell us how you came to that conclusion?

carlsberg doesnt do stupid questions... ;)

so you'd like us to comment on the conclusion that you reached all those years ago, without being able to tell us how you came to that conclusion?

carlsberg doesnt do stupid questions...
;)

Actually I haven't asked for any comment on the conclusion if you had read the thread. I was merely asking if the subject material was controversial.

Yes, it is controversial.

I think you should propose a Motion on the subject, H_S. Happy to oppose or second. Or heckle those who do.

Thanks WB

The New Motion is

WHICH PSYCOPATHIC DESPOTS FROM THE MODERN ERA ARE WORSE THAN HITLER - AND WHY

You were never part of the school debating society; the signs are there to see... :biggrin:
I'd vote for my current 'supervisor'; a female in her mid twenties, charged with the quality control of the product from fifteen or so old, wise, old, wizened, old consultants. Their speciality is the ghastly risks of travel around the globe and the peculiarities of business in the worst shitholes of the world. Hers is in PMT and one-on-one counselling at inopportune moments, leading to desk-rage and eyeball-pencil-stabbing...

Sorry.

Had to get that off my chest.

What?

You are right about the Debating Society WB, but then again you were in the posher fee paying school a bit down the road from me weren't you

I can think of a similar situation regarding the younger female syndrome - the last one I worked for used her husband's rank even though she was an ex-Corporal but because she had an A Level in English thought she had more experience to criticise our PS reports.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
...my current 'supervisor'; a female in her mid twenties, charged with the quality control of the product from fifteen or so old, wise, old, wizened, old consultants. Their speciality is the ghastly risks of travel around the globe and the peculiarities of business in the worst shitholes of the world. Hers is in PMT and one-on-one counselling at inopportune moments, leading to desk-rage and eyeball-pencil-stabbing...
And this is the organisation you suggested to me as a haven of peace and tranquility? Sounds as if I had a narrow escape :D

--Glad - on month two of probably a three-month contract on decent day rates.

Easy one.

Stalin
Mao
Pol Pot
Idi Amin
Well He wasn't my Dada !

Howabout Rabbie Rhubarbie (Robert Mugabe)
Nicky Ceausescu
Papa Doc Duvalier
Jean-Bedel (Emperor) Bokassa

If Hitler had died in 1933 then he would have been hailed as the saviour of Germany.

How do you measure despotism? Is it in people killed or executed? Destruction of property and poverty? Effect on the outside world?

For my mind Stalin wins on all accounts having by the early thirties despatched some 23 million souls to their maker and created misery and mistrust for the rest of his people. Fortunately he had little lust for expansionism beyond the land conquered by WW2.