is this thing any good or what??????

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Badgerdog, Sep 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, anybody know anything about the Berghaus Vulcan Bergan? I'm considering getting one. Legend has it that they are the bergan to have. I know about the sizes already, but I'm looking for any gen info about it before I open the wallet.....
  2. They WERE the dogs nuts way back when... the GS and SAS/PARA bergan were the only issue ones.

Rumour is the PLCE is loosly basied on it.

Now days, personally I would use the issue one, or if I really needed that bit more the medic version (with extra pouches on the side.)
  3. Pros? Cons?......
  4. its better built than the plce bergan but then it costs a lot more frame system is no more complex than the plce.
    Fine for military use but is not a quantum leap over a PlCE unlike in the old days any bergen was better than a large pack :twisted:

civvy use fine if your going to disappear into the jungle for weeks at a time
    bit overkill for anything less

civvy packs have a much better back design some from lowe make carry lots of weight almost easy and don't make you look like a squaddie
  5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The PLCE item was copied from the Berghaus Crusader, (the MoD/CQC avoiding any copyright/licencing costs by making a couple of small mods,) very popular bergan back then, but the Vulcan is levels above that.

It's even better built than the Crusader, with a back that both ventilates and doesn't encourage bergan burn.
    Has an entry near the base and a drawstring shelf/separator so all your kit doesn't fall to the bottom after you've pulled your gonk bag out.

Unfortunately I think it's only available in olive and as Brighton Hippy says, it'll make you look like a Tom.

My personal opinion, having carried and/or been issued a kakhuisvol of different bergans, it's the most comfortable internal frame pack I've used to date.
  6. .......