Is this the year Israel will attack Iran?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by headgear, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night I was watching 'This Week' after Question Time and Michael Portillo commented on a theory coming out of the USA last week that, this is the year that Israel could attack Iran for the following reasons:

1. Iran is nearing the end of its nuclear 'power station' build and thus its potential weapon capability could be near fruition - if Israel wait too long they will miss the opportunity for a pre-emptive strike.
    2. This is an American presidential election year(mid 2012) and if both candidates want the job (and American Jewish votes!) they would have very little option other than to appear strong by backing Israel.
    3. Obama, also under pressure to get re-elected, would be under severe pressure to support Israel for the very same reasons - and as a bonus for him American Presidents involved in military actions normally receive very good support (votes!) from the American electorate.

To be honest this theory caught me completely unawares but on reflection I believe it is a frightening possibility - Israel fully believes Iran when it says it wants to wipe Israel of the face of the earth and after the holocaust it is a nation/race which will never again roll over and take it, so a preemptive strike may be the solution that appeals to them most. However, can you imagine how the middle east would react to this! I believe the region would erupt into a major conflict and even if we are not involved militarily, economically we would get screwed because our fuel supplies would no doubt get interupted and the Stock markets will crash again.

Perhaps its just a theory but its one I hope our betters are contingency planning for.

Headgear

2. No. SDSR did not predict this.

3. ng7rqp.jpg