Is this the start of the end for the Gig Economy?

What ruling? Link?

Doh!!!

Looks like I need to visit Specsavers....

...I've had a busy morning :oops:

I used to work for the DSS doing contract law adjudications ( we called them Categorisation ).
The point was to determine the type of national insurance you paid, and from that whether you were employed or self employed.
There's nothing new in this particular case, except that we used to do a lot of that sort of work and it is clear that HMRC has got out of the habit.
It is a lot cheaper for the company to treat their staff as self employed subbies, but they didn't really have a leg to stand on here.

Hopefully, most of the schemes running are nothing more than an attempt to evade tax
Which with IR35 seems to punish the worker and not the deemed employer, so at least now they might the employment rights

What needs to happen is an alignment of tax and employment law so you can't have this situation where you are deemed an employee for tax purposes but self employed under employed law

So a worker has to pay employees and employers NI but also is denied any employment rights from their deemed employment

Which with IR35 seems to punish the worker and not the deemed employee, so at least now they might the employment rights

What needs to happen is an alignment of tax and employment law so you can't have this situation where you are deemed an employee for tax purposes but self employed under employed law

So a worker has to pay employees and employers NI but also is denied any employment rights from their deemed employment
Spot on.

I believe a supermarket chain (the shop in this area anyway) treats its employees as self employed. May cause a stir for them?

In my opinion, mostly in favour of the 'employer'.
Well, it cuts down on the NI bill for the 'employer'.... and the pension contributions and holiday pay they would otherwise have to fork out.

With this latest ruling by the courts, is this the start of the end for many types of self employment, particularly within the Construction Industry?
Plumber wins landmark employment rights case
It’s difficult to say without reading the judgements of the court of first instance and then the appeal court judges.

There is a legal definition for worker, if the courts have held the claimant comes within that definition then it won’t make much different.

But if the courts have changed the definition then it will have wide sweeping implications.

Best guess it is the former because the decision was made by a lower court and upheld by the appeal court.

D

Deleted 154930

I have little time, for any business, which avoids its social responsibility, to pay tax. They can hide behind accountancy rules, loopholes, offshored monies, or any number of clever loopholes.

The Gig has been around for several years and it shouldn't be the courts dealing with this issue. The tories really are a shower of shite.

I have little time, for any business, which avoids its social responsibility, to pay tax. They can hide behind accountancy rules, loopholes, offshored monies, or any number of clever loopholes.

The Gig has been around for several years and it shouldn't be the courts dealing with this issue. The tories really are a shower of shite.
Yeah. Because it isn't as if a labour government would allow such practices is it?

Yeah. Because it isn't as if a labour government would allow such practices is it?
No with the Labour party it's straight talking honest politics

Which is why Labour Live have people working for free as volunteers to get round the the minimum wage legislation on the promise that money will be paid to the charity of their choice (I hope for their sake that doesn't turn out to just be another Jeremy Corbyn 'aspiration'

And Labour MP's having full time unpaid staff using young people for 'work experience' to get round minimum wage legislation