Is this the right forum for gardening threads?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by msr, May 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I ask because I am looking for some advice on aromatic plants (no, not that sort...).

I have a bed of lavender and a camomile lawn planned and would like another bed of suitable fragrant plants and am looking for advice.

2. Rosemary usually grows well wherever lavender does. Thyme should too, and you can get versions with different habits (low growing, to make a lawn, like chamomile). Jekka's herbs catalogue should also give lots of ideas.

You could also try old fashioned sweet peas, night scented stocks, and tobacco plants.
  3. Yes but has he got a SHED!!!
  4. If he has, he could try covering it in Madame Gregoire, who is fragrant and very low maintenance.
  5. msr

msr LE

Surely you mean Mary Archer?

mmm, not sure about low maintenance though...

6. There are some very fragrant varieties of roses, they arent hard to grow just greedy and very fussy about the quality of the soil they are in but they are easy fixed. Also you could go for sweet peas, tough as old boots and can climb 6ft up a wall or trail off a hanging basket depending on the variety.
  7. just pulled the dead stuff out my garden, jetwashed clean the patios and paths and gave the beds a first spring turn over. looking lovely. got a double fronted shed. looking forward to sitting out and BBQs and then get sent to fecking northern norway for two months

8. Mint grows easily, but I'd advise against letting it run riot amongst your flowerbeds. I keep a potted plant, smells lovely.
  9. Only when there's a shed in the month.
  10. Try googling 'companion planting' if you haven't already; it could save you a bit of work, make nature work for you etc. etc.
  11. Lemon geraniums, grow well indoors but mine managed to survive the winter outdoors.
    Tobacco plants which are annuals, and f*ck all to do with fags, smell lovely in the summer evening.

what type of fragant plants to you want, trees, shrubs, climbers, bulbs, annuals, the list is endless
  12. The Maximus approach to horticulture: - herbs in the day, jasmine in the evening; a giant poplar, figs, apples, pears; grapes on the south slopes, olives on the north.
  13. If you want something ninja fast growing, get some hops. you can almost see it growing and it crawls up owt
  14. msr

msr LE

Hops. Now there's a plan :)

I am looking for something to grow in a north facing bed (against the wall of the house), so preferably something short and low maintenance.