Is this the best way to respond to fake e-mails

Posted here as didn't think any of the tech forums fitted, please move as necessary.

Basically received an e-mail from the Halifax (I do bank with them) which was obviously Phishing but as always decided to follow the link (Norton didn't kick off on this occasion, it usually does).

The 'website' wasn't even a half decent copy but put in my usual reply of 'fuck off you cant' as username and password but then (a new one to me) it takes me to reset my memorable data. Bingo all sorts of abuse I can send the thieving scumbag, so please see attached (never attached a file before so I hope it works) questions like telephone PIN?? even i don't know that so how the hell the Halifax will I've no idea.

I know it will go no-where but it entertains me, and with any amount of luck some naughty sort will be giving their mum a strange look for a bit.

Attachments

No It is not the best way to deal with them, but it is understandable for you to want to mess them up.

To be fair I know I should just delete it but so far I don't see any real risk to me by doing this (maybe reveal my e-mail address as being a real one? Its a spare anyway) and (sad as I am) I do find it quite funny.

The best way to respond is to ignore them. Now you have confirmed that your email address is live every scammer in Lagos will be beating a virtual path to your ip address.

What a cruel reward for your wit.

P

PrinceAlbert

That's the most unique and funny thing that I've ever had the priviledge to read on the internet. Honestly.

Not.

You may find that they bombard you with E-mails now.

Most of these phishing e-mails originate from Nigeria and are referred to as 419 scams.

A good chuckle can be found here:
forum.419eater.com :: Album "The Trophy Room" the idea being to bait the idiots in posing with some bone statement...then you'll wire them the monies.

Most of these phishing e-mails originate from Nigeria and are referred to as 419 scams.

A good chuckle can be found here:
forum.419eater.com :: Album "The Trophy Room" the idea being to bait the idiots in posing with some bone statement...then you'll wire them the monies.
I thought that phishing was completley different thing from the "419" scams.

That's the most unique and funny thing that I've ever had the priviledge to read on the internet. Honestly.

Not.
Thank hell for the fact I decided to read your post again, as I'd posted in the NAAFI was expecting a right slating, read your post and was about to thank you for being so complimentary, then re-read and decided to thank you anyway for living up to expectations.

I thought that phishing was completley different thing from the "419" scams.
Yes and no. What I wrote was a bit ambiguous. 419 is specifically the "give us your bank details and some money for your half of the 20million etc.". A lot of the other kinds of phishing is also from Nigeria.

Posted here as didn't think any of the tech forums fitted, please move as necessary.

Basically received an e-mail from the Halifax (I do bank with them) which was obviously Phishing but as always decided to follow the link (Norton didn't kick off on this occasion, it usually does).

The 'website' wasn't even a half decent copy but put in my usual reply of 'fuck off you cant' as username and password but then (a new one to me) it takes me to reset my memorable data. Bingo all sorts of abuse I can send the thieving scumbag, so please see attached (never attached a file before so I hope it works) questions like telephone PIN?? even i don't know that so how the hell the Halifax will I've no idea.

I know it will go no-where but it entertains me, and with any amount of luck some naughty sort will be giving their mum a strange look for a bit.
The best thing to do is to forward the email to the bank. That way they can take some sort of action and get the site closed, because there will no doubt be some mong who goes onto the website and puts their info in.

Just have, laughing
Am I correct in thinking that those who do not have a proper Avatar are either 'criminals' with RoPs or alternatively, are incurable biffs?

Just asking.