Is this RAF press release for real?

Okay, I'm usually fairly tolerant of the antics of the junior service, but this has to be the worst 'welcome home' press release I've ever seen. Maybe I'm becoming an intolerant old buffoon, but this is a press release lauding the return of the Dambusters. Perhaps it should be subtitled 'fifty shades of crabfat'...

Thrill as you read of the difficult time faced by the families as they had a short wait to see our brave heros to disembark the aircraft; gasp as you hear who a 'show of force' scattered insurgents; weep as you read of the SAC who found it nerve wracking and who didnt want to go, and be proud of the Flight Lieutenant who can now fulfill his long held dream of wearing a pair of jeans.

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | People In Defence | 'The Dambusters' return from four-month tour of Afghanistan

While being away on tour is always difficult for different reasons (I still have PTSD just thinking about the Supreme Catering DFAC in ISAF), but does this really portray the RAF in a good way?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
So they really did have a cake 'n' arse party in the mess.

"…One of the 'Shows of Force' I carried out scattered Taliban insurgents allowing coalition forces to gain ground - it was one of my proudest moments.…"

Sigh… and we thought the RAF recruiting ad was fantasy?

'One target destroyed, zero casualties, my proudest moment ever…"

[video=youtube;j5jFeYVdNzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jFeYVdNzo[/video]

ETA: And did you know it was hot in Afghanistan?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/royal-air-fo...pter-engineers-overcome-heat-afghanistan.html

Apparently so.

I immediately cringe whenever an Officer, especially a Senior one, refers to those under his command as "guys and girls".

When it comes to presenting the medals will he do so smoking a big cigar & wearing a tracksuit & have them dispensed from a tray which slides out of the arm of his big red chair while he jangles his jewellery?

"…One of the 'Shows of Force' I carried out scattered Taliban insurgents allowing coalition forces to gain ground - it was one of my proudest moments.…"
so millions of pounds have been spent on both training and hardware to turn young Mr. Taylor into and airborne grouse beater

so millions of pounds have been spent on both training and hardware to turn young Mr. Taylor into and airborne grouse beater
Yep, but nobody hurt, job done :wink:

Agreed. Exaggerated and showing an utter lack of class in many areas.

When it comes to presenting the medals will he do so ,,,,, & wearing a tracksuit & .........?
or mess kit as it is more commonly known in the RAF

WOW!......I wish I'd joined the RAF!.....

i feel sorry for whoever it was that had to write that press release. They have to look at themselves everyday in the mirror

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
[FONT=Verdana, Bitstream Vera Sans, Lucida Grande, sans-serif, sans]"However, as the first returning men and women appeared between two Tornado GR4 aircraft..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Bitstream Vera Sans, Lucida Grande, sans-serif, sans]The RAF has outsourced aircraft procurement to the cunts who fucked up security at the Olympics? Has the Daily Mail been told?[/FONT]​

Typrical Crabs, end of!

(On a plus note glad to see the Doris in the pic has put on a suitably short skirt, webbing and heels for her heroes return!)

Erm:

"The cakes were absolutely amazing. I am now looking forward to waking up in the morning and being able to put on a pair of jeans."
Lay off the cakes and the jeans will become easier to strech over your manly physique.

or mess kit as it is more commonly known in the RAF
Aha, it must be a Royal visit he's putting his jeans on for. I can just see it:

"Oi, Liz, the Mess is our home so we're going to dress how we're comfortable. Now have you got any ten-pees for the bandit and do you want a lager top? Be quick, 'Strictly' is on soon & we've ordered a takeaway pizza to eat in the TV room."

B

bokkatankie

Aha, it must be a Royal visit he's putting his jeans on for. I can just see it:

"Oi, Liz, the Mess is our home so we're going to dress how we're comfortable. Now have you got any ten-pees for the bandit and do you want a lager top? Be quick, 'Strictly' is on soon & we've ordered a takeaway pizza to eat in the TV room."
I had no idea that the RAF modelled its Officers Mess on the Cavalry pattern! Always, for reasons that really do escape me, thought they had more class.

I immediately cringe whenever an Officer, especially a Senior one, refers to those under his command as "guys and girls".

When it comes to presenting the medals will he do so smoking a big cigar & wearing a tracksuit & have them dispensed from a tray which slides out of the arm of his big red chair while he jangles his jewellery?
Well, it's an improvement on Football Manager speak that infests the Army eg 'the Lads done well'.

I had no idea that the RAF modelled its Officers Mess on the Cavalry pattern! Always, for reasons that really do escape me, thought they had more class.
Once upon a distant memory the RAF was, indeed, strict in the application of rules for dress in the Mess. Indeed, at the end of a Station exercise in 82 there were 3 of us [including a wg cdr] in DPM in an otherwise empty Bar when one of the elder flt lts came in. He invited us to move immediately to the "Pigs Bar" next door, which of course we did without demur.

It was around 84 that the rot set in. Junior officers became ever more vocal about the fuddy-duddy rules and the anguish they suffered from having to wear a jacket and tie. Eventually someone in the Head Shed decided that junior officers' comfort and convenience was infinitely more important than tradition and Mess standards. Accordingly it all went to rat-shit.

And harrumph.