Is this normal???

Blogg

LE
Remember the bit in Better Call Saul where Nacho tries to top Hector by swapping out his medication?

Well....

I'm still funny when I want to be. People laugh at my little jokes and anecdotes at the bus station, even though I don't use the bus myself.
These people who laugh at your jokes, can other people see them?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Medication should be generically these days, so instead of a specific brand, you write the chemical name of drug.

Some drugs are only made by a single company so unlikely to change but others are made by different companies in slight variations. There is only one Brufen but lots of ibuprofen which is the same drug.

This is one of the things mentioned in NHS trade talks, how long a company can keep the right to be the only ones making a specific drug

This is one of the things mentioned in NHS trade talks, how long a company can keep the right to be the only ones making a specific drug
Surely that's the whole point of the patent? Once the patent on a drug molecule expires anyone can produce and sell it legally. Unless I'm missing something.

civvy

Old-Salt
In all seriousness a lot of people must find it difficult to cope with the same prescription medicines constantly changing in shape, size, colour etc. depending on the favoured drug company of the day!
I discussed this with the pharmacist at my medication review and he explained it. But it was boring and this is the NAAFI.

But the packages with the days in, I think Italian, are a mystery.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm beginning to believe in pixies myself, going by the number of people with tiny feet on this site.

endure

GCM
Medication should be generically these days, so instead of a specific brand, you write the chemical name of drug.

Some drugs are only made by a single company so unlikely to change but others are made by different companies in slight variations. There is only one Brufen but lots of ibuprofen which is the same drug.

My doc always uses a manufacturer name rather than generic which caused me a lot of hassle when Adelat went off the market

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Surely that's the whole point of the patent? Once the patent on a drug molecule expires anyone can produce and sell it legally. Unless I'm missing something.
The difference between the ourselves and the USA is the length of time that the patent lasts for.

It is longer in the USA, thus a manufacturer can be the sole supplier for a longer time and keep the cost of the drugs up.

We prefer a shorter time, then competitive pricing as multiple manufacturers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I discussed this with the pharmacist at my medication review and he explained it. But it was boring and this is the NAAFI.

But the packages with the days in, I think Italian, are a mystery.
No worse than Arabic writing on the compo sweets!

Latest Threads