Is this Iran taking advantage

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by re-stilly, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iranian Warships are going on exercise in the Med, is this Iran testing the waters to see how far they can push people??

Linky

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Syria. The next domino perhaps? Iran giving that domino the nudge it needs to topple?

I don't doubt you're right about Iran's intention and I don't suppose the Syrian 'royal' family's motives are all that straight forward but one can only hope for the law of unintended consequences.

I can't help wondering if the crowds might come back onto the streets of Iran.

Interesting times.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so please excuse fat fingers and slips of the keyboard.

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I wonder how the Iranians manage to get Roles Royce spares to keep its Olympus main engine running

4. Soooo whats wrong with another country doing a naval exercise, imagine the uproar if they went across the atlantic in international water near the north american coast, not like anyone we know doing it to them ?

5. Probably run it on the Paxman diesels? Much easier to buy or make spares for.

6. BuggerAll

The problem is that Iran or rather the Iranian government is not normal: it's a malevolent regime headed by a nutter.

It is one of the valid criticisms of the west being made now that we have tolerated despotic regimes such as those in Egypt as lomg as they provided 'stability'. By pretending that the government of Iran should enjoy the same rights as democratic governments you are giving succour to an illegitimate government.

7. no lads,its just a very large scale asylum cruise.
    any day now a few hundred iraqi matelots shall ask for asylummmmmm.
    and when do they get to londistan and all the fat white girls gagging for it.
    and the dole-ahhh the dole,so good.

sorry just cant help thinking two things

1-does this mean all the asylum seekers go home to their new free lands?
    2-why do we give asylum to folk form places we go on hols to and if bad places,why do we go on hols there?

8. If we are allowed to send our naval warships around international waters and exercise with other navies and states of our choice, why can't Iran?

Do you REALLY thinks a battered 40-year old coastal patrol vessel will be pushing anybody around?

If you feel pushed, more fool you!

9. BuggerAll

I think we should give a fair hearing to anyone seeking asylum from a repressive and illegitimate regime such as the one operating in Iran. I would want to leave if I was there.

BTB: I don't believe anyone who is not a British subject should get state benefits of any kind. It should also be made quite clear to them how they are expected to behave and that if they don't they will be made to leave.

It should shouldn't it!

They're cheap, they're interesting and on the whole repressive regimes don't tend to repress tourists who are a source of income. However you are still likely to find yourself in trouble if you offend against the regime in any of these places.

Ultimately its a matter for your conscience. You have to decide whether your going to a country is helping to prop up a dodgy government or helping to engage with the locals and introduce liberal ideas and whether you care. Its the same argument that governments have. Do you engage with dodgy regimes to, hopefully, make them better or do you shun them?

10. why does every thread end up being about asylum seekers and benefits?

11. Channel 5 only do documentaries on four subjects. Nazis, Mummies, Sharks and Mummified Nazi Sharks.

Arrse is the same. A thread about which LCD TV should I buy will rapidly become an excuse to slag off Pikeys, Benefit Scroungers and Fatties. Or as I like to round them all up.......Whet.

12. I doubt it. Israel = bad, as far as the BBC mantra goes. It may be a new employee who hasn't been assimilated yet but as they only recruit Guardian readers, it may just be a mistake.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Heh. I've been impressed with the sensible statements coming out of Israel so far on this one. They know exactly what Dinnerjacket is up to and are not biting. But that post reminds me of a trueism - and gets us back on topic with Pikeys and benefit cheats.

Space aliens land in Trafalgar Square. Headlines the next day...

The Times: "Space aliens land in Trafalgar Square"

The Sun: "Space aliens prove they like us better than the French"

The Daily Mail: "Space alien scum jump the housing queue"

14. The Mirror: "Thatchers fault that Space Aliens have landed"

The Star: "Jordan shagged by Space Aliens"