ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Is this Forum Officers Only?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Bad CO, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Do nothing, that should be pretty clear anyway

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Change the name of this forum to something better

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Add another forum for all ranks discussion on serious defence topics

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I see no reason for any change.

Charm City's comments resonates here

2. No Giles was the one we all wished we had been bullied by.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I reckon that it would be a good idea to have somewhere for grown up discussions on topics other than current affairs.I think that the former rank of participants is not really relevant as there are a lot of well educated,articulate and clever members who served in the ranks and who can add value to the discussion.

In addition, the level of pretention and dullardry in the officers' forum can be pretty depressing.

I therefore suggest that a "grown ups" section be created for intelligent discussion of topics that don't fit neatly into the other "serious" corners of Arrse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Our battles are planned??

Like the idea of a rebrand to D,C & D to try and open it up to those otherwise put off. After all, arent we supposed to be an experience sharing Army now? :)

I would request rigourous use of the "SO1's red pen" for the usual crayon merchants

5. "W-O-U-L-D Y-O-U L-I-K-E M-I-L-K A-N-D S-U-G-A-R, S-I-R?" being about the sum of it?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Oh dear, Captain Plume, sir. I do hope for your sake you made your own wets, sir .....

Back on topic - a serious 'defence issues' or whatever board would be interesting (and might even be useful to those serving) but unless it was quite heavily regulated it might descend into ARRSE chaos

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think, on the whole, the usual suspects leave this place alone. Whatever fulfills the role of this forum should maintain that respect, but we also need to make sure that people are willing to contribute. If we could get VG (remember that place, because not a lot of Maj's seem to!), DCDC actual, MWC, AWC to post on here, then who knows where we could go.

And yes, I am aware of the problems of the 'good idea club' which loses the enthusiasm as people move on.

8. How about 'Military Analysis' which, after all, is the title for the course aimed at teaching dangerous intellectual tendencies to not-quite-so-young 'thrusters'.

9. I like the idea of keeping a forum of this title where the discussion can be about staff jobs, beige/pink lists, tips for staff college - basically shit chat for those of us that have been in more than 7-or-so years and are starting to realise that we actually have to start managing our own careers and not relying on the Adjt.

However, there sould be another place for sensible discussion of doctrine, etc by all ranks. I would be in favour of a title of either Developments, Concepts and Doctrine, or Military Analysis.

10. Why should officers be excluded then?

11. I think b_m half the problem is that there is very little discussion about staff jobs etc - perhaps because we're a bit too busy, and/or have the nous, experience and contacts to do it "in the real world" as it were. I think a divorce of the 2 parts of the forum would be a bad idea, if only because we'd have 2 very small forums instead of one quite small one!

12. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Agree with a more Military focused thoughts/discussion forum. Would also allow those unlucky enough to serve in foreign armed forces to bring their experiences and thoughts to bear.

Obviously RAF should only be allowed in if they behave and don't keep asking for a fruit machine and to wear white slip ons.

It would be a bit of a OKX (Operational Knowledge Exchange) type place as well - within OPSEC.

13. Alfred (excuse lack of quoting but DII won't let me)

I see your point, I'm sure that any of the type of questions I asked could be dealt with in the Officers forum in fact (if you wanted a bit of anonymous advice about a place where you didn't happen to know anyone).

14. Chuckle!!

I assume that have had many an odd tasting cup of tea, vaguely reminiscent of kidneys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. At least it wasn't Pilkington's finest.