Is this Forum Officers Only?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Bad CO, Jan 17, 2012.

?
  1. Do nothing, that should be pretty clear anyway

32 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Change the name of this forum to something better

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Add another forum for all ranks discussion on serious defence topics

9 vote(s)
    18.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Its been suggested to me that there is a perception that this forum is only for officers and that "lesser mortals" may not feel happy contributing to the discussion. Personally I don't feel that this is, or should be, the case but accept that the title of the forum may be misleading.

I've therefore put up the poll to let people think whether we should change the name of this forum to make it clear that it isn't just about Officers (Defence Discussion?), add in another separate forum for all ranks discussion or not change anything.

Let me know what you think?

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think with a title "Staff College & Staff Officers" it does kind of lend itself to those and them.

Now while I agree that some officers do have their uses :) for an all round discussion bringing in the experience of many of the older ARRSERs who have not succumbed to a commission (yet) a new Defence Matters forum could be started. You never know, it might even encourage the older commissioned officers who did not get to Staff College are were only 'sq'.!! :)

There are a lot of experienced WOs & Staffys who could and should contribute to the discussion.

An excellent subject for starting off a new Forum would be to take forward the discussion started in Book Reviews on Behavioural Conflict. A lot of good stuff there and I am sure that many who do not frequent the Library would be more open to discussion in a straight forum - one whose title does not exclude a large part of the Army (and other Services).

3. My only concern that is if this becomes either a) an extension of the NAAFI (the usual suspects are not welcome here frankly) or b) an extension of the harrier/CVS/abolish the RAF bore-off that surfaces quite frequently in CA.

A-Y has a point about behavioural conflict being moved here, if only for a little more discussion.

How about Developments, Concepts and Doctrine?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Auld-Yin

Is that
    a: No- don't change
    b: Yes - change to D,C,D,
    c: New Forum for D,C,D?

I am not clear where you stand.

5. If someone is so thick as to believe any public part of the Internet is ringfenced by rank, current or former, it is unlikely you are missing any great contribution to defence thinking. And it seems pretty moribund anyway.

C_C

Late Corporal, Her Majesty's Corps of Intelligencers, and quite at ease talking (slowly and clearly, with pauses) to staff officers.

• Like Like x 7
  6. IMHO nothing should change. People should realise that this is an internet forum and as such rank is not an issue here. As a none officer type chap I am more then happy to contribute (well, write something) on this forum should the need arise, and if some officer type thinks that I shouldn't then they will soon understand otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Then I am a perfect Staff Officer :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. We have Developments, Concepts and Doctrine?

9. Auld-Yin

Good with the oxymorons also :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. There's a Centre for them, I heard.

11. Honestly, I don't really mind. I just don't want the type of threads on here that I mentioned initially. If you are unwilling to write here because it has the word "Officer" or "Staff" in it, then I'm not sure you should be writing here at all.....

What might be interesting, if possible, is multi-boarding threads, i.e. it might start (and be housed) in CA, SDSR 2010, SCSO, but by clicking pre-generated 'tags' at the bottom, have it show up in the other boards. I suspect that might be an utter mare to programme, but it is a concept ;)

12. There you go with your concepts again!

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Officers have shit chat and gopping civvies. I'm all for giving them their own place where they can freely talk about pink shirts, Audi A3s and being bummed by their public school prefects.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Audi A3's are for chavs and hair dressers, I assume you have one.

15. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You had your turd cutter stretched into new and exciting shapes by a 15 year old bully called Giles didn't you?