Is this Everything That Is Wrong With British Football??

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by pot_aussie, Jan 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst browsing on the internet today, I followed a link to this article about Jonathan Woodgate but it went on to mention Pascal Chimbonda.

His career profile, in the Premiership, is as follows (taken from Wikipedia):

Wigan

In the Premiership Team of the Year for the 2005-06 season, his first in the Premiership, Chimbonda was voted best right back in the Premiership, ahead of Gary Neville, Steve Finnan and Paulo Ferreira.

He was linked with a move to a range of clubs including Manchester United, and Arsenal, as well as an attempted transfer by West Ham United based on a clause in his contract that allows him to switch clubs for an offer of £1m (which was subsequently renegotiated and removed).On 7 May 2006, the final day of the 2005-06 season, he handed in a transfer request after losing an exciting match against Arsenal, only six months after renegotiating his contract for a further four years. This riled the Wigan management, who set a high price - higher than many prospective buyers were willing to pay - and informed Chimbonda that "he can play in the reserves until his contract is over," if he is not bought.
    Tottenham Hotspur applied with a £2m transfer offer and then a £3m offer; however, both were rejected, as Wigan had stated that any offers below £6m would not be accepted, despite previously stating that, according to his agent Willie McKay, "they wouldn't step in the player's way if a top club came in for him". Further, according to McKay, £3m "was a terrific offer", and Chimbonda was still hopeful of a move to Tottenham. Chimbonda has stated that "moving to Tottenham will help me take the next step forward", and has called Wigan a "stepping stone". West Ham also made a bid, reportedly £4m, for the player, though this was also turned down because it fell short of the asking price. In August 2006, it was reported that Middlesbrough had emerged as contenders to sign Chimbonda.

He made his last appearance for Wigan on 8 August 2006 in a win against Reading as a substitute. He replaced Emile Heskey in the 79th minute, Heskey having scored the winning goal earlier.

Tottenham Hotspur

On 31 August 2006, Wigan Athletic accepted a bid from Tottenham Hotspur for £4.5 million, the transfer was completed just before midnight.

He made his Tottenham debut vs Manchester United on 9 September 2006 putting in a very impressive performance.

However, on 14 January 2007 Chimbonda was involved in a controversial incident in his team's match against Newcastle United when he slapped Nicky Butt in the face; an incident that provoked a skirmish between the members of the two teams.

On 10 September 2007 Chimbonda was arrested by City of London police on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This player typifies the attitude of many within the game, no loyalty to any club and just waiting for the next meal ticket to come along.

Telegraph Story

I have added the link to the story in today's Telegraph, (admittedly about Jonathan Woodgate, but read on), and one particular quote from the player just about sums up everything that is wrong with the game today:

Chimbonda's future is certain to be away from White Hart Lane after he was quoted in today's papers saying he was ready to accept a big money offer to join Kevin Keegan at Newcastle.

The French international is prepared to forgo a place in Spurs' Carling Cup final side next month to move to St James' Park.

"Kevin Keegan has approached me and they've offered more money," Chimbonda was reported to have said in the Sun.

"I am definitely leaving Spurs. It's all about the money. I don't care about the cup."

2. Yeah, that about sums it up. Overpaid players who couldn't give a monkeys arrse about teams/fans, just want all they can get out of the gravy train that is Premiership football!

3. Money grabbing cnut.

Spurs SHOULD let him rot training with the youth team. :evil:

4. I wonder what Ron Manager would have to say?

'It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous.'

I notice this week that Jonny Wilkinson has just signed a new contract with Newcastle Falcons saying “These decisions are never easy because there’s a lot of great rugby being played all over the place, but for me this time it was fairly simple because I knew I had to follow my heart.

It's a shame that many footballers don't share this attitude.
    I also believe that foreign players don't have any loyalty to British clubs for obvious reasons. People like Ryan Giggs are a one club man because that's the team he supported as a kid. It helps if the team is succsessful mind you!

5. Sell him for a fee well above his 'worth' and the first time Spurs play Newcastle get someone to do a Roy Keane on him. That aside, if I were a football manager I'd have serious reservations about signing a player that is so blatantly mercenary and who seems to be on the look out for the next big money deal.

6. Fcuk him off back home and concentrate on nurturing some home grown talent. Then give them all a pay cut to a realistic salary, FFS they have enough time spare to do a second job. Then reduce gate costs to a more affordable level, stamp down on violent fans and wait for families to start attending and supporting.