Is this book worth a read??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mad_Moriarty, Aug 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone read: Faith & Duty.

The true story of a soldiers war in Northern Ireland.

Written by Nick Curtis, MM
  2. Yep.

Good book. I enjoyed it. About the early 70's tours but it brought back some memories. Funny as feck too. Usual humour.

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Very good book.Another good one about N.I is "They stayed a Soldier" By Don MacNaughten.
  4. I tried reading it and gave up after the first couple of chapters.

It didn't seem to ring true on a number of details, which made me doubt the veracity of the rest of the book.

As it is, I quite understand that the only place I've ever seen it was at 'bargain book shops'.
  5. It doesn't ring true at all in many places.
  6. Don't waste your money, he's a walter - trust me
  7. Yes, it's kind of funny that. Every soldier or ex-soldier I've ever spoken to has told me with great detail how many gun battles they were involved in right throughout the troubles - even cooks. Funny thing is, I was sometimes serving in exactly the same area on the same night in the same street and I never heard any shots fired?
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Funnily enough,I got it from Bargain Books a week or so ago & am only part way thru it.Being a Ex-Blue job (RAF) who's not served over here in N.I (despite living here) I hereby bow to the expertise of GDav,Boss & Muzzelflash here & re-evaluate the book as I read it.
  9. Don't get me wrong Spike. I'm not saying the guy is a Walt. I haven't even read the book. My comments were a general observation on the number of heroes who I've met in pubs (before I stopped going to pubs). On the other hand those of us who grew up in troubled areas of Northern Ireland have rarely heard shots fired.

I have heard shots fired. I've also seen fire returned but it was only once and I wasn't on duty at the time. It was an RUC man in Portadown who emptied the mag of his SMG at an unseen sniper who had just wounded a civilian in the arm.
  10. 'The Nemesis file' was the same-complete b*llox!
  11. If you want to read REAL Ballox! check of the Thirteen - haaaaaaaaaaa
  12. I seems ta remember tha 'Tale' of one of the battalion Butchers, Cook type,
    who let one loose in Londonderry while on stag and hit a guy just out of Kesh, swore blind the guy had a weapon.