Is this ARRSE

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by straitjacket, Jun 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know I started the thread re. Pensions etc but is it just me or is ARRSE getting very, very political recently. I started that thread because I saw the article, wanted to make sure others knew about it and wanted answers on the subject. But now it seems every thread is getting hijacked and has somebody slagging off the Government.
    I aint a Labour voter - to be honest I’ve never voted (which no doubt will turn me into a Fig 11 and everybody will now unload on me) but this is ARRSE not a political forum. OK, once in a while or if it’s relevant politics and slagging off the politicians is appreciated, but every thread? It’s possibly getting a bit much. Or am I wrong?

2. ..well if B'Liar & Co would kindly stop meddling/interfering and generally making squaddies' lives a misery then maybe...just maybe, we'll lay off.... ;)

3. I think this has got political since the threat to do away with pensions, rather a lot of tanks, the RIR, Our extradition rights, and the small matter of a wonky document. In the last 3 months this Government, has done rather a lot to justify a bunch of Forces, Ex-Forces and others, having a scream.

I take no pleasure in raging against my elected Government , but a lot of people , have to blow steam somewhere, and the Missus has heard it all before.

But we need a way of rolling all the political threads into one.

Must admit, having looked at it again , there are so many political headings it looks like the website for the Cambridge University Politics Group

You're right Straitjacket, it smacks of intellectualism , learned debate and all that Rupert stuff.

Or just plain revolution  ;D

What say you Comrade Eagle?

Addendum, been off culling, so from now on, any more political shouting, pick one of the existing threads, or stick it in the Naafi Bar .... ;)

4. We have a Government that is systematically decimating the regular armed forces, and using the armed forces as THIER political tool, much, much more than was ever the case in modern history.

They are expanding the role of the TA to be, in a few years times the way things are going, the regulars, which I find ridiculous.

They are giving in to terrorists in NI after many, many soldiers have died fighting against them same terrorists.

They are committing the army to conflicts that are not really a conflict to do with us.

Men are dying to make this Government look good and enhance their standing in the International community.

Bottom line is that the lives, livelihood and futures of the armed services are being used to effect the standing of the politicos in this Government.

Of course ARRSE should be political, why shouldn't it be? How else do you suggest that soldiers, and ex-soldiers, exercise their democratic right to complain? They can't do it on camp, they can't strike, they can't strictly refuse to soldier. In fact, they should be apolitical, but with a right to complain politically, and this is the PERFECT place to do it.

If we, as serving and ex-serving, soldiers truly do care as much about this great country of ours to which we volunteered to defend, then it is our DUTY make political statements in the face of politicians destroying the country, institutions and democracy we love.

5. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Right now I think most things boil down to politics as we are living in an age that is more political than any other, even in subtle ways.

For example, 20 years ago we could have an open debate about immigration (just picking a hot topic) without being accused of racism for even discussing it. Now the politics of the race industry has led to a fear of the issue being discussed because the politics of that are based around hidden agendas and so on, too many vested interests with too many individuals deriving power and status from being part of the race industry, not to mention money! I think people are becoming more politically aware, and as Shotgun says, as a soldier where else do you get to air views on political matters?

I have always believed that we as a nation are too apathetic when it comes to politics. Only 41% of those eligible voted at the last general Election, yet the Government is behaving as a dictatorship and what do we as a nation do about it? Nothing, whether we like what is happening or not. I would suggest that political debate is no bad thing if it gets people into the ballot box and thinking about the issues, even if they disagree with me and put an "X" in the Labour box, at least they have exercised the right we defend.

6. That's a cheap comment.

I imagine they died trying to save their mates and didn't give a Fcuk about the Government and whether it looked good.

I'm off on Telic 3 and I ain't going to put my life on the line for the Government. The guys Iwork for, with and who work for me are the ones that I will risk all for.

7. I think we know what he meant though...... :)

8. And a cheap policy.

I can think of other men in history who had the same one, and other soldiers who died  WITH and FOR their mates.

[​IMG]

9. Exactly, well said S J, I'm right with you on this. :)

It's the very foundation of which we soldiers stand on. :)

Again, yet an other quirky comment posted by that bleating Armourer called Shotgun. :-X

10. I find it very strange that the attitude of the nineteenth century should be here in the 21st.

Little Baldric from the village going along with the rest of lads from the Hepplethwaite Work House to join up and fight the Bosch...grow up and smell the roses, we as people and forces are more sophisticated than then.

You'll be telling us that we should respect our officers only if they are 'gentlemen' next.

11. I'm with SJ and Treebeard on this one - the basis of the regimental system is that we fight for one another. It might be a 19th century view, but soldiering hasn't changed all that much.

12. Respect earned by any superior rank can be demanded or earned from those who are subordiate to that rank.
    Hopefully earned, which can be harder but more rewarding.

I could'nt give a toss if an officer is a gentleman or not.

Have you not got a bike, or a cooker to fix or something. :-X

13. Ahhh, so we agree on something eh? But not got enough wit to answer the point, or understand it?

Go back, read carefully and try again. Now we know why we have idiots guides on everything, especially in tanks.

As to the bike and cooker...why? You broke one and incapable of doing anything about it? Won't the storeman give you another one? Ahhh, diddums, never mind.

14. I wasn't going to reply because I just don't want to get into a slagging match. I think my original post re. this site getting too political was a valid point and me and you exchanging pointless (as far as each other are concerned) remarks won't achieve anything. I was just raising the point that this forum/website is supposed to be for squaddies, ex squaddies and people with an interest in the squaddie world. Not people with a political agenda or someone who wants to push their view on the world onto everyone else.

However you win.

You obviously don't know that many officers. I have met very few officers I would consider to be Gentleman (or Ladies). At least in my capbadge. I don't salute them. I salute their commision. Simple as that. The best officer I have ever had came from Hull , was female and could drink most of the troop under the table.

As for your earlier post.

You said
    "Men are dying to make this Government look good and enhance their standing in the International community."

My reply-

How has the Govts standing in the eyes of the world and (more importantly) with the people in this country improved with the way they have Fcuked up this one? It hasn’t.

You said
    "Bottom line is that the lives, livelihood and futures of the armed services are being used to effect the standing of the politicos in this Government".

My reply-

The lives of every of every serviceman don’t mean that much compared to winning another term in office. This is the case throughout history and always will be. The armed forces always will be a tool to be used by the Government of the time.

You said
    "Of course ARRSE should be political, why shouldn't it be? How else do you suggest that soldiers, and ex-soldiers, exercise their democratic right to complain? They can't do it on camp, they can't strike, they can't strictly refuse to soldier. In fact, they should be apolitical, but with a right to complain politically, and this is the PERFECT place to do it".

My reply-

I thought the voting booth was the perfect place.

THE BIGGIE

You said

"If we, as serving and ex-serving, soldiers truly do care as much about this great country of ours to which we volunteered to defend, then it is our DUTY make political statements in the face of politicians destroying the country, institutions and democracy we love".

My reply-

It is not our DUTY to make political statements.
    It is our DUTY to SERVE and OBEY the legally elected Government (Can’t remember the exact wording of the oath – it was a long time ago – but I can remember the general gist of what it meant)

15. It is also our DUTY to protect our interests both for ourselves now and for those joining the Armed Forces in the future....

And if that means voicing our opinions here, political or otherwise, then so be it.....