Is this accurate?

I remember seeing something online about only a handful of Scots joining RTR in the past few years, if that’s the case then why is Scotland highlighted as an RTR “recruitment area” ?
7285FE85-431F-487D-9A53-EF9B22668CF5.png

It is probably a historic hangover from the recruiting areas when there were 4 RTR Regiments, Their recruiting areas being
1 RTR Liverpool area, 2RTR London and Kent, 3RTR the West Country and 4RTR Scotland.

4 RTR was Scottish (in theory) and after all the amalgamations, the connection is still carried on by 1RTR, hence the existence of the Pipes and Drums within the regiment.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/671523/2017-10087.pdf

This one, I know scottish recruitment in general is down but jeez.. less than 5 going to RTR is a bit of a surprise
Interesting read, could very well be true seeing as recruitment is down and they are opening it all up to potential recruits from the commonwealth. To be honest, I served in the infantry and my only connection to the RTR and Scots DG’s was through the p&d’s and I a have a relative in recruiting. No interest in the Scots DG’s?

Interesting read, could very well be true seeing as recruitment is down and they are opening it all up to potential recruits from the commonwealth. To be honest, I served in the infantry and my only connection to the RTR and Scots DG’s was through the p&d’s and I a have a relative in recruiting. No interest in the Scots DG’s?

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure I could find a lot of enjoyment in the Light Cav role that Scots DG has.. but there’s something about hearing stories about it pissing down with rain and being freezing cold while in the jackal that makes me second guess it.. I can’t really set in stone the regiment I’d go to anyway, could get to Bovington then get told I’m not getting 1st or 2nd choice aha

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong I’m sure I could find a lot of enjoyment in the Light Cav role that Scots DG has.. but there’s something about hearing stories about it pissing down with rain and being freezing cold while in the jackal that makes me second guess it.. I can’t really set in stone the regiment I’d go to anyway, could get to Bovington then get told I’m not getting 1st or 2nd choice aha
Keeping your mind open is the wise way to go if you’re unsure, nothing wrong with that. Being a Scot in a non Scottish unit really shouldn’t hinder your choices, worst that could come out of it is you might be referred to as Jock for the rest of your service, not a big deal. If you want heavy armour, go for it. Good luck and I hope you make out well.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Keeping your mind open is the wise way to go if you’re unsure, nothing wrong with that. Being a Scot in a non Scottish unit really shouldn’t hinder your choices, worst that could come out of it is you might be referred to as Jock for the rest of your service, not a big deal. If you want heavy armour, go for it. Good luck and I hope you make out well.
I got referred to as Jock in HCR. I just ignored them until they realised they'd get nothing from me unless they used a rank or a name. :D

I never went Scots DG because it was full of the very neds I hoped to see the back of. Proper scheme cnuts. Many decent soldiers, but still neds.

Hence why I went pretty much as far south as I could in the RAC. Loved it. Also, Jackals are bollocks in the rain for what it's worth.

I got referred to as Jock in HCR. I just ignored them until they realised they'd get nothing from me unless they used a rank or a name. :D

I never went Scots DG because it was full of the very neds I hoped to see the back of. Proper scheme cnuts. Many decent soldiers, but still neds.

Hence why I went pretty much as far south as I could in the RAC. Loved it. Also, Jackals are bollocks in the rain for what it's worth.
See that’s one of the other things that slightly edges me off the idea of Scots DG, don’t want to arrive at Leuchars and it’s full of neds and nicola sturgeon fanboys, I’m a proud Scotsman through and through but I can not stand the whole Yes vote rubbish! How was your time overall in HCR/HCMR?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
How was your time overall in HCR/HCMR?
******* brilliant. Never touched HCMR mind, real soldier and all that. :D You can do purely HCR. Just refuse any transfers they 'offer' you. It's a different Regiment, they can't bounce you without your consent. They tried to bounce me with a promise of promotion each time. Each time I refused, and promotion at HCR followed on shortly after.

Travelled abroad loads, adventured trained loads, great pre-tour training abroad, lots of in-house opportunities for advancement with various Instructor quals flung about like they were going out of fashion, great options for sports with a Ski Team, Sailing Team, etc. Very mature Regiment, and Windsor is a great place to live.

B Squadron for sneaky-peeky stuff, D Squadron for Para. A and C if you just want to do the core role.

Wouldn't change that decision to join them for the world.

Being freezing and piss wet through has a long tradition in the RAC.:oops:

******* brilliant. Never touched HCMR mind, real soldier and all that. :D You can do purely HCR. Just refuse any transfers they 'offer' you. It's a different Regiment, they can't bounce you without your consent. They tried to bounce me with a promise of promotion each time. Each time I refused, and promotion at HCR followed on shortly after.

Travelled abroad loads, adventured trained loads, great pre-tour training abroad, lots of in-house opportunities for advancement with various Instructor quals flung about like they were going out of fashion, great options for sports with a Ski Team, Sailing Team, etc. Very mature Regiment, and Windsor is a great place to live.

B Squadron for sneaky-peeky stuff, D Squadron for Para. A and C if you just want to do the core role.

Wouldn't change that decision to join them for the world.

I’d stick HCav at the top of my list in a heartbeat if it was 1000% I wouldn’t need to go do Knightsbridge for 2 years before going to HCR, every recruiter and person I’ve asked that’s joined up in the past year have all said its a mandatory posting at HCMR first, and from what they’ve said about Knightsbridge it isn’t really selling it to me!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I’d stick HCav at the top of my list in a heartbeat if it was 1000% I wouldn’t need to go do Knightsbridge for 2 years before going to HCR, every recruiter and person I’ve asked that’s joined up in the past year have all said its a mandatory posting at HCMR first, and from what they’ve said about Knightsbridge it isn’t really selling it to me!
They tried to swizz me with that too.

I joined as far as I was aware, HCR. Went to ATR Pirbright, and got told "Well done, you'll go to Knightsbridge."

Hang on a ******* minute. I joined HCR because of grandfather rights, so to speak, as he was 1st Royal Dragoons.

So I go to Riding School and thoroughly hate every pointless second of it, and start the process of a transfer to Scots DG as I was still Phase 2.

HCMR RCMO for Trg Wing pulls me in. "What are you doing you ****?"

Told him I joined to go armoured, not to ride horses. Was old enough to speak my mind and stand my ground.
It looks really bad for them if they get Ph2 transfer out, so they asked what would make me stay and I said HCR.

They took one last stab... "Ah, but there's a visit on, if you stay for another month, you'll get to Knightsbridge and get to guard the Queen."

No thanks says I, as I knew it'd be too late to transfer then.

Bish-bash-bosh, HCR a week later. :D

I am pretty sure it's not a mandatory posting, they just have to do it to fill the HCMR numbers.

Having said that, if you can get past Riding School and handle being gawped at by tourists all day, you are living in prime London and the life that goes with that. Some of my peers that went there loved it, although by the time they got to HCR just under three years later, I'd already promoted to LCpl, and they were basically starting from scratch.

Towards the end of my time I'd even considered going over to have an easier and quieter life for a bit. Decided signing off was the easier option! :D

They tried to swizz me with that too.

I joined as far as I was aware, HCR. Went to ATR Pirbright, and got told "Well done, you'll go to Knightsbridge."

Hang on a ******* minute. I joined HCR because of grandfather rights, so to speak, as he was 1st Royal Dragoons.

So I go to Riding School and thoroughly hate every pointless second of it, and start the process of a transfer to Scots DG as I was still Phase 2.

HCMR RCMO for Trg Wing pulls me in. "What are you doing you ****?"

Told him I joined to go armoured, not to ride horses. Was old enough to speak my mind and stand my ground.
It looks really bad for them if they get Ph2 transfer out, so they asked what would make me stay and I said HCR.

They took one last stab... "Ah, but there's a visit on, if you stay for another month, you'll get to Knightsbridge and get to guard the Queen."

No thanks says I, as I knew it'd be too late to transfer then.

Bish-bash-bosh, HCR a week later. :D

I am pretty sure it's not a mandatory posting, they just have to do it to fill the HCMR numbers.

Having said that, if you can get past Riding School and handle being gawped at by tourists all day, you are living in prime London and the life that goes with that. Some of my peers that went there loved it, although by the time they got to HCR just under three years later, I'd already promoted to LCpl, and they were basically starting from scratch.

Towards the end of my time I'd even considered going over to have an easier and quieter life for a bit. Decided signing off was the easier option! :D
What a legend hahah, can garuntee if I pulled the same stint they’d just say “well transfer then you c***!” Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the history and tradition that stems across all the RAC regiments, including the HCMR part! But some of the horror stories I’ve been told of that place.. not to mention the thought of spending 10+ hours on kit, to then go on parade and the bloody horse decides it doesn’t want you on its back that day.. living in central london struggles to sway me towards HCMR.. plus I’d quite like to carry on taking part in sports in the army and from everything I’ve seen from HCMR it’s either no time for it.. or equestrian sports !aren’t HCR moving away from Windsor soon as well? Bulford I heard

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What a legend hahah, can garuntee if I pulled the same stint they’d just say “well transfer then you c***!” Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the history and tradition that stems across all the RAC regiments, including the HCMR part! But some of the horror stories I’ve been told of that place.. not to mention the thought of spending 10+ hours on kit, to then go on parade and the bloody horse decides it doesn’t want you on its back that day.. living in central london struggles to sway me towards HCMR, aren’t HCR moving away from Windsor soon as well? Bulford I heard
Somewhere in Newcastle I'd read on the last review. That'll be a game changer. It would be the time to join, as you'll get a huge rush of lads trying to get from HCR to HCMR (generally unheard of) and so HCR will need to up it's intake.

However for me, as much as HCR was great and had brilliant opportunities, I think a move to Newcastle will be the death knell for what is an anomaly in the RAC.

Somewhere in Newcastle I'd read on the last review. That'll be a game changer. It would be the time to join, as you'll get a huge rush of lads trying to get from HCR to HCMR (generally unheard of) and so HCR will need to up it's intake.

However for me, as much as HCR was great and had brilliant opportunities, I think a move to Newcastle will be the death knell for what is an anomaly in the RAC.

The “prestige” of the Household Cavalry Regiment seems to fade a bit when instead of lovely Windsor.. it’s Newcastle

Stoat, if you want to stay RAC and do tank work, go RTR. You will be OK. I don’t think the RTR will be erased, like the other regiments have been. HCMR can be great, but MBT is the way forward. FWIW, really don’t worry about where you are from, it’s not that important within the regiment. Good luck!

In the last couple of years RTR were looking to increase the number of Scottish recruits, but now that recruits are badged RAC you will be put in whichever regiment is in need of recruits. I was told as recently as last week (by someone in the know) that KRH is top priority for recruits due to lack of numbers. RTR is apparently a popular destination for recruits when asked their preferences. Strange how things change over time, The former "Council House Cavalry" are now perceived as "modern" by potential recruits whilst the Cavalry Regiments are deemed as "old army". Same in the infantry, they all want to join the "Rifles", the new modern infantry, and not the ancient Regiments whose history was once seen as a good recruitment tool. I'm sure that the RTR being on MBT is the major reason they are popular as is the name.

Latest Threads