Is this acceptable behaviour at a funeral?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by westendboy, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was on a two day course at the Trades Club in the Doncaster Frenchgate centre this week.

On the second day (Tues) we broke for a quick ciggy break at about 11.00am and the smoking shelter on the roof was crammed with young lads in monkey suits all getting hammered.

Found out they`d been to a funeral that morning.

Come lunchtime the shelter was again full of the young boozers now very much the worse for wear.

The afternoon coffee/ciggy break arrived (2.00pm ish) and guess what?

Yep still there, and by now they were so pissed they could barely stand up.

Is this acceptable conduct at a near and dear ones sendoff?

Trades club..jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. If they were Scots or Irish it is the only form of acceptable behaviour at a Funeral. Plus you have to have a punch up, not doing so is considered bad form.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Abso f**king lutely.....

4. Doncaster? You poor sod.

5. If I found myself in Doncastor I would start drinking heavily.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The behaviour of the above mentioned booze hounds would have been more appropriate if they had continuously headbutted you until you flatlined.

• Like Like x 6
  7. In Russia very much so, some in fact would see failure to drink until collapse as a mark of disrespect to the deceased.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

bin there done that and bought a pint for the deceased, no one was allowed to drink them and we had a ferking great pile of 'em on the bar before we left .

• Like Like x 2
  9. In Russia mass punch ups at weddings are not abnormal events.
    If you put Russian weddings or Russian wedding fights into Google or Youtube you will get the picture.

10. I think it is completely unacceptable. Three hours + and most of them still able to stand, and still properly dressed I imagine, by your lack of comment to the contrary. By that time, at least a few of them should be lying in a pool of vomit and/or piss.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Actually Old Boy...it's considered etiquette in certain parts of Renfrewshire, as is taking possession of the deceased's property because you knew he would have wanted you to have it, despite the needs of his immediate family. A chap simply can't just turn up to a funeral and expect to leave unscathed and bereft of any household electrical items.

• Like Like x 3
  12. A few Irish guys at work went to a funeral last month. The funeral started on the Thursday morning and they didn't make it back into work until Tuesday...true story.

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I was raised not far from Doncaster. The form was lay the body out on the dining room table for about 5 days for people to visit, curtains drawn.

Funeral, burial, and ham sandwiches in the Church Hall followed by a piss-up.

14. I'd rather my mates had a good lash rather than standing around bleating.

About what a right fatherless I was.