Is this a thing?

So I was doing a bit of reserch for work today and I came across this little piccy I knew there where dreamers out there but I didnt realise this was a hobby any body into this?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I just stumbled across it today the inner child in me thinks it's pretty cool.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android) whilst having a shite

CliSwe

Old-Salt
Seems to be a kind of "If the boot were on the other foot" fantasy. The Black Buck raids were a psychological, rather than operational, victory over the Argentines. And weren't British troops in GW1 shot-up by "friendly fire" from a Warthog?

Cheers,
Cliff

Yup british troops where shot up by a10s. I remember my dad packing for round two and he had a union flag on his top pouch of his bergain I asked him what for and told me so the septics didn't straf his section.

Re: Argie Vulcan.

The Blue Steel is a bit daft, but at one point in the 1970s Argentina did consider buying surplus Vulcans.

The FAA had been a traditional operator of British bombers with the Lanc, Lincoln and Canberra so the Vulcan was a logical step. Would have been one heck of a game-changer down there...

Vulcans had previously made a goodwill visit to Buenos Aires in 1958 in an attempt to sell a few B.Mk.1s.

I wonder what would have happened if they had vulcans in 82 having been teaching air recce recently on the Falklands specific threat I can make a guess that they would still have one or two "operational".

Defence
Vulcans ( and Victors ) could easily out-turn dedicated fighters at 60,000 ft + so the Sea Harriers wouldn't have had a hope. I think they topped-out in the low / mid 40k anyway ( public sources ).

So Sea Dart would have been the primary defence for the task force, with a few Sea Slugs from the County class ships for effect.

Detection of fleet
Argentinian Vulcans could have ranged well out into the Atlantic with 300+ miles range of the radar for sea-search ( the Victor could map all vessels in the Med on a single sortie, per legend; half a million square miles )

Reaction
Would this have forced the UK to adopt more proactive counter-air, striking Argentinian Vulcan bases pre-emptively? Using Vulcans, naturally...

It' mad to thing what would have been different if a few contracts would have been signed. Sounds like a good thing they didn't have em to me.

Defence
Vulcans ( and Victors ) could easily out-turn dedicated fighters at 60,000 ft + so the Sea Harriers wouldn't have had a hope. I think they topped-out in the low / mid 40k anyway ( public sources ).
While I am in no way an expert why is turning relevant against an all aspect AIM?

Latest Threads