Is This A Sea Change In The ROI ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by HHH, Jul 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HHH

HHH LE

2. Refreshing coming from Ireland.

It looks very bad for the father Ripraps of Rome when even the ultra Catholics of that dank and drab island get fed up of randy priests roaring up their kids!.

3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

The only reason that they have been having a go at the Vatican is because it's the only place in Europe they don't owe money to.

4. Are you sure of that?

The vatican bank is a big financial institution and is unlikely to have lent much to orthodox greece! They prefer to back states which are unfriendly to protestant states. Argentina and the Vatican / French Exocet debacle for example.

5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Am I sure of that, of course not. I know nothing about economics and could care less about someone being rude to the papal nuncio, but it's a start. For Gods' sake don't start with the Vatican bank conspiracy theories, you know the sort of people that attracts.

6. The Church's grip on the people is becoming weaker and weaker - I know a small town in the south very well, and it is evident to me that missing mass week upon week no longer attracts the kind of social scorn that it once would have.
    People are more concerned with improving their and their families lives, than slavishly observing their faith, even when their heart's not in it.
    I hope the trend continues and Ireland returns to the more tolerant and eay going situation it was in many decades ago (1916-early 20s excepted), where it was OK for CofI to Marry RC, etc...

7. ME ME ME,I'm always attracted by attacks on the Catholic church, especially if theyre in the short strand

• Like Like x 1
  8. When I see the Guards or for that matter the PSNI or the Met trailing one out the back of the car with his arms midway up his back like they would with any other nonce then I'll know the world has turned a corner.

Until then, they're still more teflon than the Cosa Nostra.

9. Never seen the pictures of Brendan Smit being led into court/out of court in cuffs (I think) by RUC/PSNI.

The Irish Prision Service took over the Military Detention Barracks in the Curragh to house convicted priests for a while..... their isn't enough of them inside though!

Hopefully this is the start of hitting the church where it hurts..... their pockets.... there is a redress scheme (that has been working for a few years) which the new Minister of Education is going to fund by taking property (eg schools) from the church.

Unfortually for the victims many of the scum will have died..... but many remain.

Having said that in a lot of cases it was actually the State that put people into the Church's care.

10. The real problem for the Roman church is, that if they sucessfully remove the paedos, they will need to recruit a lot of priests.

Since the main incentive for taking holy orders has been shit loads of this:

[​IMG]

...ever since the some gay mysogynist Pope stopped priests from marrying, they will have trouble filling those jobs.

11. While bashing institutions is fun this is the serious room so:

The celibacy thing was all about economics and the control of wealth. Make the priests single and when they snuff it all their wealth belongs in the organisation and not to uncontrollable wife and offsprings. Eff all to do with ethics, morals or dogma.

12. Earlier in this forum I reported a noncile kiddy fiddling screw of the NI Prison Service. His name was Dessie (Punchy) Skillen. He was a taig too. I'm sure a few of the RC borstal boys divulged what he was like during their "confessional", but like when it was reported to the prison service there were no comebacks on him.

13. Ah i see your use of the word "taig" again, tell me when are you going to leave the 1690's?

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I take it that Mr Skillen is either (a) now convicted, or, (b) deceased.

Or are you in discussions with your learned friends?