Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Retention deal for you?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Your CO and the rest of the battalion didnt have a problem with someone not adhering to military law as well as being a potential candidate for blackmail?
What a chipshop unit.
If it was known up to and including his CO, what could he be blackmailed with?

If it was known up to and including his CO, what could he be blackmailed with?

Maybe his parents? Maybe his future units? Maybe a change of Command (namely one that doesnt ignore military law).

I was thinking a scheme that would find education at your nearest college. Cash is easily squandered, I'm an expert at it.

Whats the incentive if you dont want or need a qualification? Cash is fairer, people can spend it on education if they wish.

From what I can work out this has failed anyway. The numbers are incredibly low, and when the individual arrives at said Battalion they're on their own. It seems a few of the candidates have been vastly over qualified for infantry and completed the training as a personal challenge. The latest plan is to centralise them with a single regiment to ensure that there's enough numbers on site.
The plan is post people based on their sex? That should be interesting if they want to go elsewhere.

Whats the incentive if you dont want or need a qualification? Cash is fairer, people can spend it on education if they wish.
Who doesn't need an education? Cash might be fairer but it'll get spunked too easily, and the buying power massively depleted for anyone actually wanting an education.

Who doesn't need an education? Cash might be fairer but it'll get spunked too easily, and the buying power massively depleted for anyone actually wanting an education.

People who already have an education? People who manage just fine without one? People who arent academically inclined?

Cash is better, people can spend it on what they want. Plenty of people dont piss it up the wall.

It's important for any organisation to understand the business it's really in. Take Coca Cola as an example. You can be anywhere in the world and buy a Coke out of a fridge with the Coke logo on it. They happen to sell fizzy drinks, but their actual business is in branding and logistics. You could give those guys any product and they could shift it in the same way. Or you could say the same for Starbucks, they don't compete on making better coffee than their competition! Your HR company probably doesn't really do HR as such, it probably does operations and the COO will be the logical choice for CEO.

The Army doesn't really understand this about itself because it's a brave officer indeed who's the one to say "actually, we need the RLC much, much more than we need the Paras or the Guards"...
Arguably you could call their sales/branding their J3....everything else is supporting effects.

People who already have an education? People who manage just fine without one? People who arent academically inclined?

Cash is better, people can spend it on what they want. Plenty of people dont piss it up the wall.
We already get a lump sum, I don't cash as an incentive. Assuming MOD don't **** it up (long shot), throw money at a scheme that funds tuition fees or a bursary, ten year life span. Educational establishments are businesses, discounts could be worked out (maybe). It's not the answer to everyone, but there's no bad news story to it.

Ask anyone in the private sector if they’d be happy with a pay freeze in a guaranteed job with a final salary pension.
Not sure there's too many final salary pension schemes still in place for new entrants, even in the private sector. I went straight onto a defined contributions one when I left the mob.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We already get a lump sum, I don't cash as an incentive. Assuming MOD don't **** it up (long shot), throw money at a scheme that funds tuition fees or a bursary, ten year life span. Educational establishments are businesses, discounts could be worked out (maybe). It's not the answer to everyone, but there's no bad news story to it.
You're in a minority most people want extra cash.
What you mean is, that you wouldn't mind someone paying for your education.
The bad news is, it would suit a minority, cash suits most people.

You're in a minority most people want extra cash.
What you mean is, that you wouldn't mind someone paying for your education.
The bad news is, it would suit a minority, cash suits most people.
There's more to it than what people want. Whatever is done needs to be palatable to the taxpayer. Paying people retention money means you've got a retention problem. Making the Services the most attractive education provision organisation agnostic of the fact that you are mortarman number 2 or a cyber wizard is far more acceptable.

There's more to it than what people want. Whatever is done needs to be palatable to the taxpayer. Paying people retention money means you've got a retention problem. Making the Services the most attractive education provision organisation agnostic of the fact that you are mortarman number 2 or a cyber wizard is far more acceptable.

What, like being one of the countries biggest supplier of apprenticeships :)

You want the taxpayer to fund something some people don't want or need?

The Army does a a retention problem.

Money buys you nice things. A qualification is only any good if you need it.

I don't think retention bonus are particularly good, but its better than paying for a minority who want a qualification. Basically only people who want a qualification will be attracted to that perk.

I don't think retention bonus are particularly good, but its better than paying for a minority who want a qualification. Basically only people who want a qualification will be attracted to that perk.
Why not a range of things?

Cash

Equivalent value in education (bulk buy may give a discount here so more bang per buck.

Extra leave, calculated amount based on capitation rate.

Etc.

You select 6 months out from being due.

Disagree. I'm on about rewarding people for getting out after a set length of service, I don't see the point of throwing money at people to stay in, if they want to go a few grand is unlikely to change that.

Disagree. I'm on about rewarding people for getting out after a set length of service, I don't see the point of throwing money at people to stay in, if they want to go a few grand is unlikely to change that.

Great, then reward them with cash after a certain length of service, not something they might not want or need.

Why not a range of things?

Cash

Equivalent value in education (bulk buy may give a discount here so more bang per buck.

Extra leave, calculated amount based on capitation rate.

Etc.

You select 6 months out from being due.

Cash will still probably rule, leave maybe if someone has a job lined up.
Education just sounds like a perk that some individuals want because it suits them, not because its a decent reward.
The army already has a large amount of education initiatives and funding, does it really need one at the end of your career for the benefit of the few? There are so many different quals from so many different organisations and there probably arent a big number who do their 22 years (and an even smaller number of those who want a qual) so I doubt the discounts will be massive.

Cash will still probably rule, leave maybe if someone has a job lined up.
Education just sounds like a perk that some individuals want because it suits them, not because its a decent reward.
The army already has a large amount of education initiatives and funding, does it really need one at the end of your career for the benefit of the few? There are so many different quals from so many different organisations and there probably arent a big number who do their 22 years (and an even smaller number of those who want a qual) so I doubt the discounts will be massive.
Where are we dropping the most numbers?

Latest Threads