Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Retention deal for you?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not sure if this has been started elsewhere but apologies if it has.

There are a few ideas there for soldiers and officers, but the author contends that 6 months public duties in London would be seen as an incentive to stay in even being used to reward a soldier giving 6 months stability and the bright lights of London.

Do you agree or see this as a way for COs to get rid of trouble makers for a few months?

Would you be encouraged to re-engage if sent for public duties or consider it a reward for being a god soldier?

Just concentrating on soldiers, officers also have suggestions.

You'll never make mod starting threads like this in int cell.
It's very 13th Duke of Wybourne dont you think?

Have to be honest - sending me off for a 6 month spell of Public Duties, with all the accompanying bullshit would have been a sure fire way of guaranteeing I signed off ASAP! Definitely not for everyone.

+1

Incessant public duties would be a sign off for me as it's compounded by fear driven spastic NCOs who have to cater to the lowest common denominator (much like an OC's inspection). I was offered Balaclava Coy as an incentive to sign back on, wtf?!

There are a few ideas there for soldiers and officers, but the author contends that 6 months public duties in London would be seen as an incentive to stay in even being used to reward a soldier giving 6 months stability and the bright lights of London.

Do you agree or see this as a way for COs to get rid of trouble makers for a few months?

Would you be encouraged to re-engage if sent for public duties or consider it a reward for being a god soldier?

I honestly dont know any soldiers who were ever keen for public duties.

Ive never been a fan of offering perks (although I wouldn't regard public duties as a perk) to people who want out. I also dont see it as a reward.

I dont understand what he means by 6 months of stability either, you are away from your friends and/or family, its like going on a tour without your unit. Yes you will be doing the same old thing for 6 months but generally you will if you are on tour, doing an RP role, PTI role or even post NCO role.

My understanding - noting I'm an Officer etc etc - is that the are always more than enough RN volunteers to do PD. I know everyone I've spoken to who has done it has not regretted it.

I suspect, like many other things, if it's part of your "norm", it's very easy to be blase/cynical about it; if it's something that you don't usually get to do, it's a great opportunity!

Dicking other unfortunates for a bit of marching up and down at Palais Du Brenda etc may improve retention in the Guards Regiments...

There’s an iPlayer program about the Royal Greenjackets in which they did a stint on PD. Not sure they thought it was the greatest thing they ever did in peacetime soldiering.

My understanding - noting I'm an Officer etc etc - is that the are always more than enough RN volunteers to do PD. I know everyone I've spoken to who has done it has not regretted it.

I suspect, like many other things, if it's part of your "norm", it's very easy to be blase/cynical about it; if it's something that you don't usually get to do, it's a great opportunity!
I thought that the RN only did a tour on Public Duties for the first time a few years back? You have got the booties for all that foot stamping, rifle clattering thing.

Anyway I think Lizzie II would veto the idea of replacing her Foot Guards on public duties at Buck House and Windsor.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Dicking other unfortunates for a bit of marching up and down at Palais Du Brenda etc may improve retention in the Guards Regiments...

There’s an iPlayer program about the Royal Greenjackets in which they did a stint on PD. Not sure they thought it was the greatest thing they ever did in peacetime soldiering.
This may be it

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You'll never make mod starting threads like this in int cell.
It's very 13th Duke of Wybourne dont you think?
You haven't read, or more likely being a matelot, not understood what is printed on the top of the door to this Forum, have you? ;)

Mattb

LE

I'd have thought that it might be a bit apples and oranges though - as the RN doesn't have a unit that caters specifically to those who like the idea of doing public duties. I suppose that it might be an incentive for those from support arms who like the idea of doing lots of PD, but otherwise wouldn't people just have joined the Guards/HCav/etc if they wanted to do lots of PD?

This may be it
I don't believe it is the one I had in mind... It was an episode in a BBC series called 'The Regiment'.

BBC - The Regiment

It has an excitable robotic Coldstream Drill Bloke providing the comedy and giving it large with delightful phraseology along the lines of “get hold of those rifles or I’ll come over there and puncture your nervous system”.

A little light entertainment from 45 or so years ago when the army thrived on bullshit and the R. Greenjackets didn’t. Sean Bean is not in it either.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
My understanding - from a contact who was in the Bn at the time - is that it was an experience that was tolerated, but not really enjoyed, by most of those involved. Nobody joined the RGJ to guard palaces!

I don't believe it is the one I had in mind... It was an episode in a BBC series called 'The Regiment'.

BBC - The Regiment

It has an excitable robotic Coldstream Drill Bloke providing the comedy and giving it large with delightful phraseology along the lines of “get hold of those rifles or I’ll come over there and puncture your nervous system”.

A little light entertainment from 45 or so years ago when the army thrived on bullshit and the R. Greenjackets didn’t. Sean Bean is not in it either.
Its exactly the same documentary that Auld Yin flagged up.

No way would that encourage me to extend.
As noted by a few others, who in their right mind wants to go back to basic training style bull, ironing and polishing and marching up and down the square?
More exercises and making bang bangs would probably be a better idea.

Whilst noting you are an officer (senior one)...

Are you denying you look a bit like Alan Partridge?

If so, based on past, and currect trends, where do you see your career path leading?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

One can safely conclude that the author is a retard.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

For the navy it probably is. Personally, I joined the army to learn how to look like a tree and kill people, not to march up and down outside somebody's house.

Latest Threads