Is this a PayPal con?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Prodigal, May 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I received this email today:

"Yo u h a v e a d d e d , a s a n e w e m a i l a d d r e s s f o r y o u r

P a y P a l a c c o u n t .

I f y o u d i d n o t a u t h o r i z e t h i s c h a n g e o r i f y o u n e e d a s s i s t a n c e w i t h

your account, please contact PayPal service at :

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
    answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
    "Help" link in the header of any page."

When I go onto PayPal it tells me my account has been selected ofr a random security check and asks for my card details and my Bank PIN number. I cannot find any phone number for PayPal to check the authenticity of this - does anyone have a number I can call?! Help!
  2. did you try to go into paypal off that link?
    if so do not!!

go to paypal through the normal way and then check.
    it sounds very,very dodgy to me.
  3. Log into PayPal via the normal web, not by following the link contained in the email.

If PayPal then ask you for the information, come back on here pm me direct I will get a number for you.

The above link will go to a page that will look like paypal but is just used to get information from you.
  4. Just send the e-mail to and they will check it out and let you know whether it is for real. It looks dodgy so don't go into the link.
  5. Thank you!!!! Very much appreciated!! :)
  6. Customer Service Centre

PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 6:00 AM BST until 10:00 PM BST every day.

Call us on: 08707 307 191 (UK national call rates apply)

We can only discuss an account with the account holder. Please have the following information available when you call:
    Your telephone number
    Your email address
    The last four digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal
    For security reasons, we must verify the above details before discussing any account-specific information.
  7. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Not genuine, it's a load of old tosh. I had the same email.

Sent it to and then deleted it.

Same thing happens with eBay from time to time too.
  8. PS Paypal and Ebay are all part of the same company now (in case of confusion about advice) so either will sort it out for you.
  9. It is definitely a con. There are also e-mails in circulation apparently from the big banks and building societies, asking you to verify usernames, pin numbers, personal information [eg, mother's maiden name]. The sites look authentic, with company logos, etc.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE OUT THAT INFORMATION. No legit company will ask you for that info via an e-mail. If there is a problem with your account, they will usually send you a letter asking you to visit your nearest branch to discuss it with the customer services reps.