Is this a new US Digital Cam?

Discussion in 'US' started by BuggerAll, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I followed a link to a story about the US Army in AFG. I ended up looking at a Washington Post Gallery with some interesting photos of US Army soldiers in something that looks like a German Digital Cam pattern.

The Post won't let me copy the photos so you'll have to follow the link: Battling Afghan insurgency means reassessing the enemy and fight through the annoying advert.

I know the US Army has been using multicam are they trying other stuff as well?
  2. It looks a little like Marpat.
  3. It has been thrashed out in the QMs. In a nutshell this is ACU with added brown.
  4. And not so stupidly blue
  5. Here are some of the pics, courtesy of NoScript btw;
  6. It's called UCP-D.

It lost out in the competition against Multicam for Afghan use, but personally, I like it. First time I saw it in real life, I thought they were just really dirty and muddy ACUs.

7. Hmm, nice camo, but I wonder what rifle the soldier is using in OJG's first photie. It looks a bit like a heavily bastardised M21. Am I right?

8. It's UCP-Delta it was a trail patain before mc was chosen. TamH70 the wepon your talking about is a M14 EBR.
  9. One of the test patterns which lost to Multicam.

The Rifle is an M14EBR using the Sage International stock. A fairly heavy chassis by the way.

Better view:

10. Ooh thank ye sai. I thought it was something similar to the old Garand, and was leaning more towards it being an M21 as it is the newer sexier version,(supposedly) of the M14. Which was a newer, sexier version of the Garand, in 7.62mm rather than 30.06 if I recall correctly?

11. Really, it isnt even an M21 which has a NM barrel, gas cylinder modification and other Mods. Its a 1963 rack grade M14 bolted into a EBR stock. The stock itself is a CNC Milled block of solid T6 Aluminum. So many M14's have been issued out that Smith Enterprises was recently given a contract to start producing M14 (Not M1A) recievers, the first real M14 Production since JFK was President.

M14 was obviously not as good a rifle as the M1 Garand it derived from. There were so many problems with M14 production, accuracy, acceptance trials, due to Winchester, Harrington & Richardson not staying within specs. TRW M14's are always the best to have after Springfield Armory manufactured ones.
  12. I fired the Garand in RI; wow, PROPER rifle.