Is this a Lee Enfield in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Nov 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am probably wrong but it looks like a mauser(spelling) with a draganov sight bodged to it

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bodged PU or PE scope, butt looks familiar but it looks like a Kyhber special?

3. Difficult to say, since you can't see the actual action.

I'd guess its probably a normal SVD sniper rifle that has been fitted with a home-made suppressor (the pipe) and a butt hacked off a Mauser or Enfield because those little a-rab guys find the SVD recoil a bit sharp....

The butt disk is in the wrong place for a standard Enfield, and no sign of the rear sling swivel location. Might still be a bit off a 1930s Iraqi SMLE.

4. All the important bits are covered up so you just can't tell what it is

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It couldnt be from Darrah as they are almost pssable fakes, most of the time, 4 T is probablly right in that its a locally modded model.

6. Thats definitely an attempt at a silencer. I would not like to be the one pulling the triger if it was not aligned.

7. Impossible to say as you need to see the bolt or magazine.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The rusty pipe is probably carboard, from a plotter paper roll or similar, they can be used for fire and forget rockets containing enough propellant and charge to go far enough to do damage but not hurt the firer, also rigid enough to act as a muffle for a perforated barrel or a moderating baffle container. The baffle moderator wouldnt require a perforated barrel.
    It certainly looks uncomfortable to fire!

9. If you look at the ends it does look like there is some birdshit welding been done on it

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

wasnt me!

11. So the question is did that suppressor work .????

12. There have been lee Enfields turn up in Iraq though. A British Journalist attached to an American Tank Battalion in 2003 (wrote a book called Black Knights about the experience) claimed to have found a box full of them, still in their grease paper. I gather locally built Stens have apparently turned up in Gaza.

13. Lee Enfields could have been there since the War (WW2) as a lot of Polish troops were shipped by train from Russia to Iraq where they were armed and given british uniforms as part of the British 8th Army. They then moved on to Palistine and North Africa and then over to Italy.