Is there such a thing as an issue combat/sur vival knife?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jesse, May 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today on a market stall selling military gear, in Ross On Wye I saw in item for sale as "" British Army Combat/ survival Knife" In a camo sheath about 6" long razor sharp and shaped like a mini bowie knife.On sale for £15. With all the teenage knife crime frightening! IS there such a weapon issued to the British Army?
  2. No. The only one i know of is the same as below:

3. Yep... that is the bobby.
  4. [​IMG]

This is the only combat knife you should need...
  5. A leatherman is better for everyday use to be honest! :)
  6. There is no need for a combat knife. You get issued a bayonet for stabbing people to death... if you are not in a position to be stabbing people to death, then there is no need for something else. A leatherman or small gerber knife does the job of cutting string / para cord / opening letters..
    In Basra I was friendly with the snowdrop ATSy lads (don't snigger) and some of the shit they took off people was frightening. Commando daggers and AK47 bayonets confiscated from Brigade HQ clerks etc. It was embarrassing in a way. What the hell does a clerk need a commando dagger for?
  7. So what if you're in the jungle? Not everyone is stuck in Afghanistan and Iraq.
  8. Opening letters?
  9. If you're in the jungle, you're issued with a service Parang. Very good they are too.
    What use would a combat knife be in a jungle? Was that a Wah? Have you ever been in a jungle?
  10. I've been in the jungle more times than you i bet. Not once have i ever been issued with a parang. Are you a walt?
  11. Is it parang or golok in the tropics? Thought it was the golok, thick heavy stubby blade compared to your average South American machete for example... Is the parang the one with a curved blade?
  12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I say the issued parang met the criteria of the thread question - you need it to survive in the jungle and oh, I'm positive I could use it in combat if I really really had to. Not sure why I'd want to with a rifle in my hands although I'm sure some smart arsse will be willing to tell me.

Part of day 1 lessons - don't be separated from it.

Excellent bit of kit
  13. As an inventory item they are issuable and still procured. NSN 1095 99 963 2037 if you can justify one to the nice man at your local QM.
  14. Never understood the histeria we Brits have around weapons....

So what a clerk had a commando dagger. Maybe they were given one as a gift by the Commandos?
  15. ... agreed, a clerk could do a lot more damage with his pen then he ever could with a dagger.