Is there still a quality pie and mash shop in old London town?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by TheIronDuke, Oct 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I need to impress a bird.

I require a quality pie and mash shop with ells fresh every morning. Quality pies, quality mash, quality liquor with salt, pepper and vinegar on the Formica topped table. And a mug of tea. I do not wish to eat eels because they are filthy things.

Retro styled Madge and Guy Richie yuppie joints where Heston Blumenthal is the executive Chef need not apply.

There used to be one down the Fulham Palace road and one off of Upper Street and one between Camden Town and Somers Town but I suspect they have all been infested by ponces.

Am prepared to chance somewhere with no convenient tube station but I would rather not.

Thanks for any advice.

2. A. Cooke - Pie, mash and eels.

Goldhawk Road, Shepherds Bush. Opposite the Goldhawk Road Station by the Shepherds Bush Market.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

******* hell. There is a God. Cheers chaps.

Ever noticed how posh people always avoid the fillet steak and go for offal? She is going all sneery about pie and mash with liquor but I will bet the tank when she gets there its "Oh, can I try jellied AND stewed eels? Do you have pigs feet?" The latter may cause a fuss in Peckham because most of the population are pigs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Take her for lunch at Tower Bridge Rd on Thursday or Friday, then a short walk to Borough Market where you can introduce her to dead animals.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I suppose a request for the pic of a bird that is impressed by formica and eels would be considered terribly bad form?

Apparently there is a club however.

pie shop directory

6. There's still a few good pie n' mash shops still serving plenty of the old wallop - yeah I know, the best ones disappeared in the 80's .. Cooke's in Dalston and the Manze's in 'olloway, both now Chinkies.
    My old favourite Manze's is still going strong in Chapel Market, used to nip in for a dubble of each when we were knocking out oranges and lemons on the old barra, Manze's in Walthamstow market comes in second choice and Cooke's in Hoxton market and Clarke's in Exmouth Market are also good for wallop. All of these serve both hot and jellied eels.
    There are one or two to avoid like the plague though, one in particular nastie is in Edmonton Green market place (dry pie n' watery wallop)ONT]

7. If you don't go pie and mash there are some quality eateries in the Archway.

Someone was saying on here that Archway is the new Islington.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Leytonstone - bottom of Cathall Road on the junction with the Leytonstone High Road. I assume that it's still there.

9. I could murder a plate full of pie n mash. Sticky rice, tofu and noodle soup are beginning becoming monotonous. Thank God there are copious quantities of whelk here.

10. Cooke's of 150 Hoxton Street, Hoxton. Proper, unadulterated pie 'n' mash shop.
    I was there last week -fantastic.

"Ooooo, Knees up Muvver Braan, Knees up Muvver Braaan...!"

11. Exmouth market.

Very near mount pleasant post office Camden
    Very good pie and mash get there early or you'll lose out full of postmen

12. Eel, pie and mash are the by-products of Satan and all his little helpers, fit only to be eaten by southroners and Frenchmen.

That radioactive-green 'liquor'? And cold eels* in jelly? WTF?

Yes, I've tried it - a couple of times in case the first time was duff - but it's still awful scoff.

(*However, hot eels Japanese-style are the business).

13. "Leytonstone - bottom of Cathall Road on the junction with the Leytonstone High Road. I assume that it's still there."

It is and it is still the best. Used to be in Bow Road and 2 mins from my house when I was kid. Best one I have ever been to.

Chapel Street Islington comes a very close second followed by all of Ma Kelly's places in Bethnal Green/Roman Road.

Gor Blimey Guvnor, Me Accent is coming back.