Is there really a god ?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Taffnp, May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few Millers and the thought which has always been somewhere in my mind resurfaced.

Every nation whose inhabitants believe in god envisage him as totally different to that of another nation.

If there is a god, who were his Mam and dad ?
    And why would he sit down and waste his time creating mosquitos ?

Maybe we originated from aliens and space is just like an ocean with many other inhabited planets out there.

I can't say I believe in the big bang theory as that means all life originates from basic chemicals in the periodic table and as such it should be possible to create such life in a laboratory.
  2. It's too complicated of a post for a Sunday evening! :D
  3. Simon Amstell - 'Stephen while you're here, is there a God?'
    Stephen Fry - 'No, no darling no.'
  4. msr

msr LE

5. If it's good enough for Mr. Fry then it's good enough for me. I'm off back into the Lady Thread!
  6. My thoughts exactly.
  7. It's not about believing it, it's about understanding it. :wink:
  8. No there isn't a God really

Edited for capitol letters and bid spallinge
  9. Who said God had to be a person, God outside of all the waffle is merely whatever created the universe, whether sentient and corporeal or the resukt of lightening hitting a bowl of jelly that is God.

That is an entirely plausible explaination, yes the planet could have been seeded. Where did the aliens come from the.
    It is possible to create such life in a laboratory but unless youve got approximately 1.4 billion years to get the results and can subject them to the same environment as on the Earth you will never get the same life.
  10. There are no infallible answers in Philosophy of Religion. There are virtually no indisputable answers in philosophy generally, for that matter -- bar a priori facts, such as 2+2=4, and one or two rationalist arguments such as the cogito ergo sum argument.

If you want to develop an understand the arguments for and against the existence of God, look up these topics:

Some arguments for the existence of God.
    - Argument from design
    - Ontological argument
    - Teleological argument

Some against the existence of God:
    - The problem of evil
    - The argument from free will
    - The omnipotence paradox

If you're interested in buying books then I highly recommend two books that are typically (or were in my day) central to any undergraduate Philosophy of Religion course:

The The Existence of God. (Swinburn, R)
    The Miracle of Theism: Arguments for and against the Existence of God. (Mackie, JL)

The books cover the area well but are heavy going at times. They actually document correspondence and debate between Mackie (atheist) and Swinburn (theist) over the years.

The more you look, and the harder you try, and the more you question, the more you seemingly move further away from certainty and truth.

Edited for being a dopey dick
  11. Swinburne is an atheist? When did he see the light? :?