Is there really a god ?

A few Millers and the thought which has always been somewhere in my mind resurfaced.

Every nation whose inhabitants believe in god envisage him as totally different to that of another nation.

If there is a god, who were his Mam and dad ?
And why would he sit down and waste his time creating mosquitos ?

Maybe we originated from aliens and space is just like an ocean with many other inhabited planets out there.

I can't say I believe in the big bang theory as that means all life originates from basic chemicals in the periodic table and as such it should be possible to create such life in a laboratory.

It's too complicated of a post for a Sunday evening! :D

No there isn't a God really

Edited for capitol letters and bid spallinge

Taffnp said:
A few Millers and the thought which has always been somewhere in my mind resurfaced.

Every nation whose inhabitants believe in god envisage him as totally different to that of another nation.

If there is a god, who were his Mam and dad ?
And why would he sit down and waste his time creating mosquitos ?
Who said God had to be a person, God outside of all the waffle is merely whatever created the universe, whether sentient and corporeal or the resukt of lightening hitting a bowl of jelly that is God.

Maybe we originated from aliens and space is just like an ocean with many other inhabited planets out there.
That is an entirely plausible explaination, yes the planet could have been seeded. Where did the aliens come from the.
I can't say I believe in the big bang theory as that means all life originates from basic chemicals in the periodic table and as such it should be possible to create such life in a laboratory.
It is possible to create such life in a laboratory but unless youve got approximately 1.4 billion years to get the results and can subject them to the same environment as on the Earth you will never get the same life.

There are no infallible answers in Philosophy of Religion. There are virtually no indisputable answers in philosophy generally, for that matter -- bar a priori facts, such as 2+2=4, and one or two rationalist arguments such as the cogito ergo sum argument.

If you want to develop an understand the arguments for and against the existence of God, look up these topics:

Some arguments for the existence of God.
- Argument from design
- Ontological argument
- Teleological argument

Some against the existence of God:
- The problem of evil
- The argument from free will
- The omnipotence paradox

If you're interested in buying books then I highly recommend two books that are typically (or were in my day) central to any undergraduate Philosophy of Religion course:

The The Existence of God. (Swinburn, R)
The Miracle of Theism: Arguments for and against the Existence of God. (Mackie, JL)

The books cover the area well but are heavy going at times. They actually document correspondence and debate between Mackie (atheist) and Swinburn (theist) over the years.

The more you look, and the harder you try, and the more you question, the more you seemingly move further away from certainty and truth.

Edited for being a dopey dick

There is no God.

But after an afternoon spent sampling some of the finest examples of the brewers' art, you could be forgiven for thinking there was.

There isnt a God.

Most organisied religion was created to "control" the population and try to answer unanswerable questions. So, zillions of years ago when people wondered why the feck it kept getting dark, light, rained [insert question] and they didnt know - invent God and blame him. A lot of religion is also about keeping people in check, look at the ten commandments for example, are these really what a "God" would want or more to do with what people wanted other people to do. Would God really be bothered if you letched over your mates missus?

All I can say is if there is - prove it...

I had a big falling out with our local female vicar a couple of years ago when we wanted our twin girls christening. I was aethiest and wouldnt agree to some of the things she wanted me to do (before we even got to the church) My wife is a believer and wanted them christening. It ended up in a big arguement in our house after she said I was evil for being a soldier and she used to walk the streets of Belfast with other Vicars demonstrating against British soldiers. She also told me, and wait for this one that if someone killed my girls - she would forgive them and so must I. That was it, she was man handled out my house.

Anyway, I dont think there is.

No, there is no god, if there were, we wouldnt have peados, rapists, or muslim fanatics.

Or treehugginglefties running the country....