Is there any sensible reason...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...why units are disbanded, rather than just changing role?

By which I mean, if an infantry unit is 'surplus to requirements', why can't it be re-roled as (for example) 3rd (Transport) Battalion, the Royal Anglian Regiment, or 4th (Signals) Battalion, the Royal Green Jackets, etc. The Guards had tank battalions in WWII, and there are Yeomanry signals and arty units. Is it just empire-building on the part of the RLC and other corps?

I can't see any logical reason why, in the course of a 400-year history, a regiment can't be pikemen, tankies, truckers and machine-gunners.

2. Elements of 5, 6 and 7 Bn R ANGLIAN formed 158 Tpt Regt RLC (V) in around 1998. Re-roling happens more during major conflict when there is an immediate operational need.

Manning levels are set by the MOD based on requirement and funding levels. It is not the fault of the RLC that the MOD has cut TA Inf Bns down to their current level.

3. I was there (for a while, before jumping to another infantry unit) which prompts my (rather belated) question. Why did they have to change cap-badge?

4. Well, my little angle-spangle, do you think that D Inf would put up with 158 (Inf) Regt RLC ?

You work it out...

(remember, pointed side towards the enemy...)

5. pedantic mode on 158 (R Anglian) Tpt Regt RLC(V) was formed on 1st of APRIL 1996

6. I`m sure some Hereford Infantry Regiment (V), have re roled as Cavalry with the RMLY, yes in fact I`m certain, but I can`t for the life of me remember who they where...

7. It wouldn't have anything to do with these would it...

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££?