Is there any adopt a british Soldier programe?

Hello,

I am a Soldiers Angel of the Soldiers Angel Foundation.
Anyway, there are many people that would love to take care or adopt some British Soldiers as well, is there any "adopt a soldier" programe for British Soldiers that are deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq?

Thanks for your help :D

Tankers Angel

What a wonderful idea. I don't know if it's entirely suited to the way the British serviceman thinks but it's a lovely gesture for you to ask.

Thank you :D

Well I am not used to the British Traditions so how to support British Soldiers as best ?
Are there any Organisations or Foundations?
Like Soldiers Angel, or Any Soldiers?
Something like a Letter Writing Programe perhaps? If there is anything like that, I'd be more than honored to join the programe :)

The battle group taking over from the Scots DG BG (and God knows they need a rest now) is the Queen's Royal Hussars (Queen's Own and Royal Irish). anyone sending 'small' parcels from the UK may do so free. Books CD's DVD's etc are welcome. Letters and cards and parcels may be sent to:

The Adjutant
Queen's Royal Hussars BG
Op Telic 8
BFPO 660

(these are mostly Irishmen and lads from Birmingham, England)

If you're writing from the US you will probably have to pay unless you can come to an agreement with your postal service.

I'm not sure who the infantry or other arms with the battlegroup are but I do know that recce is by the Queen's Dragoon Guards. These are mostly young Welshmen.

I'm 100% sure that other lads on the website will point you in the right direction for other arms.

Thank you very much. Well I would write from Germany and in this case it does not make any difference if I write to the US Troops or the British Army. There are Flatrate Boxes and since it is Fieldmail it will only cost 6 Euros, regardless where the fieldmail is going to. But it is good to know for my German Friend who lives in the UK and wants to support the British Army as well.

Thank you for the Information and it would be nice to know more about it :)

Angel there's a sensible limit about what can be posted on a public website, or to people we don't know, no matter how good their intentions. I'm sure you'll appreciate that? What may be of help is the Army's own website http://www.army.mod.uk/ if you do a search for Op Telic 8 you'll find details of who is going out and how to assist in their welfare.

GDav said:
Angel there's a sensible limit about what can be posted on a public website, or to people we don't know, no matter how good their intentions. I'm sure you'll appreciate that? What may be of help is the Army's own website http://www.army.mod.uk/ if you do a search for Op Telic 8 you'll find details of who is going out and how to assist in their welfare.
Oh I totally understand about Opsec and Persec. Thank you for the site :)

All of us deal with sensitive information and we have to make sure that we keep our boys 'nd girls safe, so no worries, I totally understand.

Very noble and good of you - everyone appreciates getting mail, i'm sure your thoughts and kind words will help the boys out there, it's nice to know they aren't forgotten.

Cowhead said:
Very noble and good of you - everyone appreciates getting mail, i'm sure your thoughts and kind words will help the boys out there, it's nice to know they aren't forgotten.

Well, may no Soldier ever be forgotten.

@Lone Tree: Thanks for the link, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot. :)

There was something like this for British Soldiers can't remember who was doing it though. I was given the details of a soldier to contact which I did and asked if they needed anything or wanted anything sending out - least I could do as hubby was safe and sound in UK. However, never got a reply (or details of any more soldiers) :(

Oh that is something that happens very often.

My official adopted for example is of the 1st BN 17th In REGT.
The first time I've sent something was a Halloween Package and almost a five site long letter, he wrote back. A 8 site long letter. I kept on sending stuff to him and his troopers every month, letters and packages but only got three emails back. They sometimes have no time, sometimes not even pens or a piece of paper. They love reading letters but just have no time to answer back unless they have a computer job and can get online like my other official adopted.

I work with another Angel from Cali and we have an adopted that is Special Forces, it is worse with him because he really needs some Tender Loving Care. He has seen the most worse things someone can think about.

It doesn't mean that they do not like to get back, they just can't get back for some reason, but they appreciate and love every letter they get.

Some carry a little box with them and have all the letters in it and pick them to read them over and over and over again. Handwritten are very important, they also smell the letters and try to imagine where they are written. In the kitchen or in a restaurant, outside.. and and and...

Don't know if it is the same with the British, but my experience is that a Soldier is a Soldier doesn't matter where they come from :wink:

Nice idea, we had "random" mail sent out to us on Granby and Grapple and I can still remember the wording of the first one I ever read.

Good for morale and totally harmless.

Good luck.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The simple answer is to send it to the Adjt, Regt'l/Coy/Sqn etc Clk, addressed as:

Company Clerk
A Coy
1 Blankshires
Ip TELIC
BFPO XXX

On an Inner envelope (doesn't work with Blueys!)

"Please give this to any soldier who wants a friendly contact" (sort of thing)

We got a couple of those on TELIC 1 with goody parcels (strangely only from USA - nothing from British wellwishers!!) whilst based at As Saliyah with the US forces.

We got letters and stuff on TELIC 2 - think The Sun set up some scheme. Quite a nice touch really. Especially as all my mates were far too jack to write or were too busy going on protest marches! Cheers lads...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Angel,

good for you Mamzelle,

Brits are terrible at this sort of thing.....and when you're out there and the mail call happens and it seems everybody else gets a stack of blueys and you get zip it can be very demoralising.

Well done and best of luck with SSAFA.

The other agency you might like to ping a line to is the Army Families Federation. They have a website here

Good effort :)

Lee Shaver

Aunty Stella said:
Nice idea, we had "random" mail sent out to us on Granby and Grapple and I can still remember the wording of the first one I ever read.

Good for morale and totally harmless.

Good luck.
We managed to get some fantastic boxes of morale through to us on occasion on Granby and the letters were great, for some reason the unit I was with got a massive amount from some school kids in Kent (who had older sisters, ahem,) we usually dished the letters out to those without mail and the parcels were spread out amongst the vehicles.
The letters would often be passed from person to person, such a simple thing that made such a difference to our lives

From my own experience I have to agree with those who point out the restrictions soldiers on Ops have. It isn't that they don't care or can't be bothered, it's just that hand-written blueys take time. I've been lucky; I've had a few telephone calls from my son. However I've had only one bluey in three months, due mostly I suspect to lack of time.

Communications can be mostly one way, but I think we have to recognise the reasons why this is.

Edited to make (slightly) more sense.

Thanks a lot for the Information. A Friend of mine and me decided to create a new Organization for the support of all the Allied Troops. It is not fair to just support one Nation and left out all the others that are deployed too.

We don't care and a Soldier is a Soldier, doesn't matter where he comes from as long as he is allied and deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq.

It is a lot of work but thank god I have a NATO Point in my town and good contacts to a Sergeant Major over there, he is a bliss as well.

I know we can make it, it'll spread faster than we think. :)

Thanks for all the help.

Latest Threads