Is there an iPad Version in the Pipeline?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by viceroy, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arrse strikes me as a simple, no thrill website, not sure how much less bandwidth would be possible? As asked elsewhere, is there an iPad version in the works that could be made a low bandwidth version, or could the iphone app be adapted in some form or fashion? Just a thought, haven't got a fecking clue about technology, so it may well be a mong comment.
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I believe that the iPhone App does work on iPad but would be grateful for any feedback from those rich enough to own one!
  3. I'll try when I get home. Normally, if you put an iPhone app on the iPad it doesn't fill the whole screen, as it's designed for the iPhone. They appear in the middle of the iPad, the same size as the iPhone screen. You can sometimes zoom in, though the definition is usually pants.

Hence they bring out the same app in iPhone, and also iPad format
  4. Have I started a thread without starting a thread? Yes, it does work, but as outlined by HRH PA above it runs on half the screen size or is baldy pixled if the size is doubled. I use the ARRSE website on the iPad and as such a separate App is not strictly necessary as you are not using flash. However, I rather like the navigation and simplicity of the iphone app and I really think it was done very well. I have left rating and feedback to that effect as well, but it has not yet been reflected in itunes...

If an adaptation of the phone app is feasible for the iPad, I would welcome it, the ipad is here to stay!
  5. I'm with you on both points
  6. Bad CO

I moved it from the other thread as I thought it was worthy of a separate one. Like you I reckon that tablets are here to stay.

We're still keen to develop apps for other mobile OS's so iPad will definitely be one of those. No promises any time soon though.
  7. I'm no programmer, but surely it's just a case of changing the resolution for the iPad?
  8. Bad CO

:) ..................
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm not sure an iPad app is a good idea. It displays the website just fine as it is, and if you do produce such an app, then maybe it will effect your advertising revenue (as i don't think the iPhone app shows ads, does it?) - unless you start using iAds with it I guess. I say this because I hardly use my laptop anymore and most of my internet use is through the iPad, so others must be the same?
  10. Bad CO

An interesting point. We could have had ads on the iPhone App but the evil Olive Net conglomerate decided that it was a bad idea. We both loathe ads on our phones so couldn't inflict that on people - not even on Apple owners!

Like you I reckon the future of browsing is mobile so at some point we may have to look at other options for our app (6 monthly subscription like the papers?) but at the moment we'll be keeping it free and ad-free.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

An app on an ipad would be an app just for the sake of the word 'app' - 'cos it's cool. It wouldn't be as good as the fully featured browser-based version, and the ipad has the screen and processor to handle that without problem and without scrolling, so.. why bother? A step in the wrong direction and something else to install.

See my answer to the thread about low-bandwidth ARRSE to understand why an app is not needed on speed grounds either.

Ideas are good for this sort of thing though, so thanks for the input. I am also ready to be corrected about the need for this!
  12. One of the main iPhone features that I like, is the "Participated" thread button. Can this feature be put on the this website?

Or is it already on here, and I've been a mong and overlooked it? (I know I can go to my profile, and see all posts, but it's not the same)
  13. Bad CO

14. Excellent, that's it. How do I navigate to that page?
  15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Either in the white links more or less above THIS at the bottom of the header, Quicklinks->Subscribed Threads , or Settings (top right) and it's the main page content. The other was is to look for green ticks on things, such as in the Last 50 list. These are threads you are subscribed to.