Is there an electrician in the house?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, but I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I was just putting up a kitchen cabinet, or to be more precise drilling a hole to screw it up with, when all of a sudden everything went dark.

Apparently I hit a cable. On the bright side, everything is working again now that I reset the safety cut-out thingy, but obviously there is still a hole with a live cable in it in my wall.

Should I.....

a) Fill the hole with polyfilla and pretend it never happened.

b) Call an electrician.

c) Stop working immediately since it's obviously not my day.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    T_T

2. Find a way to blame the wife then go out for a pint.

3. Although I'd be tempted to cover it with polyfilla, your best bet is to call a sparky.
    They'll run a test to make sure you havent buggered up your wires complety and should be able to fix it.
    Not worth running the risk havin live wires floating round in your cavities :wink:

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Then when the cowboy sparky has relieved you of a couple of hundred quid, you can curse yourself retrospectively for not spending £30 on a cable/stud detector.....

[​IMG]

5. Were there lots of sparks and a burning smell? If not maybe you didn't hit a wire it was the drill overloading the circuit. But best get it checked by a sparky

6. No sparks, no burning, but I can see a bit of blue wire in the hole.

Sounds like I'll be calling an electrician on Monday......

7. Get wife/child/neighbour to stick a screwdriver in the hole?

8. Check your pm's

9. Have done, thanks.

Whiskeybreath,
    I like the way you think! Unfortunately I'd better save my money, and just have a beer from the fridge instead.

In these troubling times, it's good to know that there's always beer in the fridge (working for Carlsberg does have some perks!).

10. Also thank your lucky stars that you didn't go fizzthppffffthzz.

11. Lick your fingers and pull some wires?

12. He's not eating chicken FFS! :wink:

13. No, T_T, because polyfilla contains water! You have damaged the insulation and the cable will sit there waiting for an opportune moment to fail, sometime in the future! It will probably fail by bursting into flames.

You really need to dig out the hole, check the integrity of the cable and either splice in a new piece or repair the insulation.

Pm me for detailed advice if you wish, or we can discuss in open forum; I haven't done this yet in my career, but it has been a close run thing!

Litotes

14. Just dig it out and put some amalge round it.

15. The very same thing that can locate a laptop in the boot of your car !