Is there an electrician in the house?

#1
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, but I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I was just putting up a kitchen cabinet, or to be more precise drilling a hole to screw it up with, when all of a sudden everything went dark.

Apparently I hit a cable. On the bright side, everything is working again now that I reset the safety cut-out thingy, but obviously there is still a hole with a live cable in it in my wall.

Should I.....

a) Fill the hole with polyfilla and pretend it never happened.

b) Call an electrician.

c) Stop working immediately since it's obviously not my day.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
T_T
 
#3
Although I'd be tempted to cover it with polyfilla, your best bet is to call a sparky.
They'll run a test to make sure you havent buggered up your wires complety and should be able to fix it.
Not worth running the risk havin live wires floating round in your cavities :wink:
 

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
#4
Then when the cowboy sparky has relieved you of a couple of hundred quid, you can curse yourself retrospectively for not spending £30 on a cable/stud detector.....

 
#6
rockhoppercrab said:
Were there lots of sparks and a burning smell? If not maybe you didn't hit a wire it was the drill overloading the circuit. But best get it checked by a sparky
No sparks, no burning, but I can see a bit of blue wire in the hole.

Sounds like I'll be calling an electrician on Monday......
 
#9
Gren said:
Check your pm's
Have done, thanks.

Whiskeybreath,
I like the way you think! Unfortunately I'd better save my money, and just have a beer from the fridge instead.

In these troubling times, it's good to know that there's always beer in the fridge (working for Carlsberg does have some perks!).
 
#10
Fugly said:
Then when the cowboy sparky has relieved you of a couple of hundred quid, you can curse yourself retrospectively for not spending £30 on a cable/stud detector.....

Also thank your lucky stars that you didn't go fizzthppffffthzz.
 
#12
Setanta said:
Lick your fingers and pull some wires?
He's not eating chicken FFS! :wink:
 
#13
Tartan_Terrier said:
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this, but I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I was just putting up a kitchen cabinet, or to be more precise drilling a hole to screw it up with, when all of a sudden everything went dark.

Apparently I hit a cable. On the bright side, everything is working again now that I reset the safety cut-out thingy, but obviously there is still a hole with a live cable in it in my wall.

Should I.....

a) Fill the hole with polyfilla and pretend it never happened.

b) Call an electrician.

c) Stop working immediately since it's obviously not my day.

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
T_T
No, T_T, because polyfilla contains water! You have damaged the insulation and the cable will sit there waiting for an opportune moment to fail, sometime in the future! It will probably fail by bursting into flames.

You really need to dig out the hole, check the integrity of the cable and either splice in a new piece or repair the insulation.

Pm me for detailed advice if you wish, or we can discuss in open forum; I haven't done this yet in my career, but it has been a close run thing!

Litotes
 
#15
Fugly said:
Then when the cowboy sparky has relieved you of a couple of hundred quid, you can curse yourself retrospectively for not spending £30 on a cable/stud detector.....

The very same thing that can locate a laptop in the boot of your car !
 
#16
As a sparky Id advise you to call some one in.

There are many cowboy ways to 'cover it up' but in the long run the IR (Insulation Resistance) of the cable you damaged when tested would fail to pass an IR Test.

This could lead to if untreated a potential fire caused by the melting of the insulation arround the cables you nicked when drilling.

How much to call out a sparky............. a lot less than a new kitchen thats for sure.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top