Is there a sinister plot to stop British troops voting !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Mar 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Under electoral law, the closing date for parliamentary candidates to put their names forward to fight a constituency is only 11 days before polling day.

Next, postal ballot forms (with names of all the candidates) have to be printed — a process which normally takes up to three days.

The ballots must then be flown, for example, to Afghanistan and distributed to the isolated Forward Operating Bases in areas such as Helmand Province where many of our troops are based.

Only then can soldiers cast their vote, before the ballots are sent back to Britain in time to be counted.
  2. I notice that there is nothing about this on Browns Broadcasting Corperation
  3. Good to see the British Armed Forces Federation and what's-his-face quoted, although we did not contribute directly to this article.

I am on the road just now and might comment later, but one point is that the duration of service voter registration was increased after the last General Election, as a result of campaigning, from one year to three and it has very recently been further increased to 5 years.
  4. No. No sinister plot. The usual mix of uncaring incompetence and troops being in a rather nasty war not having been taken fully in to account in each and every one of our laws.
  5. Yes it is. Labour created this Parliamentary law, invented postal voting and invaded Afghanistan just to be able to prevent a few hundred Toms from voting.

6. What happened to the Proxy Vote?

That hasn't been binned has it?
  7. Nope. And service voters can register for a standing (3 year, IIRC - okay 5 - Hackle should know) proxy. Regs only, mind.
  8. Cheers Idrach :)
  9. Proxy voting is still there. Has been for about 100 years and likely to be there for the next 100 years – unless we finally catch up to the fact that other nations do this a whole lot better than us and give their citizens abroad a realistic chance of casting their OWN vote in their country’s elections.

Fighting for the voting rights of soldiers/sailors/airmen - Petition
  10. I've just conducted a quick straw poll amongst the junior service personnel that I am in contact with. They are indeed extremely unhappy about the inadequate arrangements made for them to vote when they are on tour. They seem to think it's a combination of ITV and Simon Cowell who are to blame and that it makes the X Factor a loss less exciting for them.
  11. does anyone have anything on this that didnt come from the Daily Fail?
  12. Well, there's the report on the BAFF site which I have just finished wading through ...

I would have to admit that, having joined up at 17 and voted by service proxy very shortly after becoming 18 (serving abroad at the time), the only time I have subsequently failed to vote was in last summer's elections when I was mobilised - I have a standing postal vote declaration but that was impractical in the circumstances.
  13. Did the junior service personnel say what voting arrangements they would like?

Canadians set up polling stations in Afghanistan both in main bases and FOB’s for their 2008 Federal elections. Their service personnel actually got to cast their own vote. - Canada Votes - Fighting for democracy and practising it ...
    ... Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan were voting Saturday in the federal election at
    advance polls in Kandahar and at remote forward operating bases. ...
  14. Probably there is.

'Coward' Brown will have been told by his boss, Mr. Mandelson, that he is not the most popular man in general with the Armed Forces.
  15. Indie...

Indie takes it as supply priorities being the main reason for it being difficult to get votes out and back in time.

That said Arrse even gets a mention, though with the voting statistics mentioned in the article I doubt the government will be overexerting themselves to get a solution to the problem.