Is there a officer and university course?

LewisS

Crow
Hi
I'm been thinking of joint the British Army as an officer but I was wondering if there was a dedicated institution that would be provide you with military training and a university degree, similar to the Australian Defence Force Academy, where the government pays for most of your degree and you have a period of service afterwards. I am aware of the OTC but from what I can gather that does not provide you with an education. From what i've read it only works in conduction with your education.

Thanks
Lewis

Quick quick someone has asked a question that we know the answer to, stone them stone them

2/51

LE
And back on course (yes, spoilsport, I know).

The military will "pay" for your education in some circumstances, but you have to serve so many years after you graduate to "pay them back". I know a couple of folk that went on to join the RAMC as doctors and had to serve, I think, 7 years, or pay back the fees.

Alternativly, move to Scotland, get your "free degree", and then feck off again...seems the done thing...

X59

LE
Thanks for all the replies, I'll look into the undergraduate bursary.
You may wish to look into basic English too.

LewisS

Crow
I don't think so, maybe if you are on some type of scholarship. It may be different for me because, although I'm a British citizen, I haven't lived in the country for several years.

cpunk

LE
The army won't pay for you to go to university but will give you some financial support while you are there in return for a contractual commitment to serve at least 3 years after Sandhurst - once you have passed the AOSB main board.

Switchback

War Hero
Hi
I'm been thinking of joint the British Army as an officer but I was wondering if there was a dedicated institution that would be provide you with military training and a university degree, similar to the Australian Defence Force Academy, where the government pays for most of your degree and you have a period of service afterwards. I am aware of the OTC but from what I can gather that does not provide you with an education. From what i've read it only works in conduction with your education.

Thanks
Lewis
I wouldn't fancy going to ADFA. It sounds like Welbeck on steroids. Then you still have to go to Duntroon to commission.

Here's an idea, why not join the TA, go to university and do TA weekends and holidays earning some money and then in your last year at uni go and start the process to be an officer.

You'll learn some stuff, earn some money and if you are switched on you will bother your TA boss to go and let you do some interesting courses. I had a lad when I was at uni who joined the para's in Pudsey, got his wings, did some interesting courses, travelled on exercise, got the German wings too and then joined up as an officer.

Latest Threads