Is there a coherent plan for Bosnia?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Within the last week, Serbia has been pronounced by the ICC not to have been guilty of genocide in Bosnia and a host of other similar charges. This had lead to violent demonstrations in various parts of Bosnia by Muslims who feel that justice has not been served. Sadly, the 'truth' is no longer a relevancy!

Yesterday, this appeared on the BBC website:
    And then today:
    The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that the EU considers that the Bosnians are unable to govern themselves, but they're not going to resort to violence to settle their problems. What signal do you think this sends the locals.

In my opinion, it's just another case - in a long line of similar decisions - where domestic imperatives overide the realities on the ground; the decision is not based on what's good for Bosnia, but what's right for 'us'.

2. Out of the theme. In Switzerland my wife asked in German local young woman in Geneva. The question was literally ignored. There was no answer at all. There was no attept to conversate even in French. However locals were rather friendly then asked in English.

I haven't been to Belgium but I suspect that hostility between communities there still exist.

There are 3 communities in Bosnia. Unlikely they will be close friends soon but the life goes on. Bosnia needs 'cantonisation' and should be terned into confederation of almost independent subjects.

Everybody in Bosnia understands that bad piece is better than a good war. It is a basis of any viable solution.

PS. The same thing should be done in Kosovo where Serbs populated pockets could be cantons.

3. Sure I've just heard on Radio 4, British troops(800) to be pulled out of FY.

More savings/cuts therefore for the anchorite in No. 11 Downing Street.

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Yes - get out quick. We've other eggs to fry!

5. msr

msr LE

Seeing how utterly ineffective 6,500 soldiers have been in 'lifting' war crimes suspects, you may as well only have 2,500 fannying around out there.

msr

6. A coherent plan when the UN and the EU are involved?

7. Run away

8. MSR - the military are there to promote stability and are available to help out the IPU (International Police Unit), a regiment sized force of Gendarmes (multi national but primarily Italian Carabineri) that does lift PIFWC (Person(s) indicated for war crimes) as well as combating organised crime alongside the Bosnian police

The drawdown of troops by the UK is partly to do with the improving situation, but also has to do with something Swiss Tony has been muddling along with a bit more to the east.

9. A coherent plan? The war ended over a decade back and the Bosniaks have been sitting quietly and patiently in their shattered economy all this time, watching us pour money into Palestine, Iraq, and any other muslims who chant for our deaths, burn our flags and shriek about how evil we are. They must be wondering what the fcuk we're playing at. And so am I.

10. Not my point - the Bosniaks have behaved exactly as we want muslims to behave when we lend them a helping hand. Consequently they've been completely ignored. Why are the PA more deserving of our dosh?