Is there a BT Broadband Engineer in the house?

...or even just someone who knows the way to have a grown up correspondence with BT?

I’m in a semi-rural location and my connection speed has always been at the slower end of the spectrum. However, for the past two months or so, it’s dropped to around 1Mbps, and since yesterday it’s even slower – often literally slower than the old dial-up service. Upload speed is not as badly affected, but my ping varies from very-respectable to 6 seconds or more.

I’ve spent literally hours being bounced around the BT website. I did manage to find an older page that did some diagnostics, and that seemed to indicate a line fault. But, I need to contact them in some way other than by phone. The live chat service doesn’t work (due to staff shortages, allegedly), and the only other options are Twitter and Facebook (which I’ve managed to avoid so far in my existence).

Is there a secret ‘insufficiently advertised’ email address that I could use? I’ve also got some issues with my account because of its age, and it won’t be something that ‘Kevin from London, yes please thank you goodness gracious sir’ is likely to have in his big book of things to ask. Besides, I’d like to have a paper-trail.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Run a quiet line test - dial 17070, then option 2, if there is any noise, report a line (phone line, not broadband) fault here BT Faults | Report and Track your BT Problems | BT
Always report as a phone line fault, not BB, if they ask if it's intermittent and worse in bad weather, the answer is always 'yes'. The best way to get through to a real person is to tell them you want to leave, when asked why, tell them your problem. Everytime i've spoke to 'retentions' it's always been someone in UK

Run a quiet line test - dial 17070, then option 2, if there is any noise, report a line (phone line, not broadband) fault here BT Faults | Report and Track your BT Problems | BT
Thanks for the phone line tip - some parts of the online broadband stuff don't recognise my ID, but the phone link did.

Always report as a phone line fault, not BB, if they ask if it's intermittent and worse in bad weather, the answer is always 'yes'. The best way to get through to a real person is to tell them you want to leave, when asked why, tell them your problem. Everytime i've spoke to 'retentions' it's always been someone in UK
Cheers! Apart from anything else, the speed of the service hasn't been tracking the amount of cash they take from me, so I'm up for a good moan at them.

anglo

LE
...or even just someone who knows the way to have a grown up correspondence with BT?

I’m in a semi-rural location and my connection speed has always been at the slower end of the spectrum. However, for the past two months or so, it’s dropped to around 1Mbps, and since yesterday it’s even slower – often literally slower than the old dial-up service. Upload speed is not as badly affected, but my ping varies from very-respectable to 6 seconds or more.

I’ve spent literally hours being bounced around the BT website. I did manage to find an older page that did some diagnostics, and that seemed to indicate a line fault. But, I need to contact them in some way other than by phone. The live chat service doesn’t work (due to staff shortages, allegedly), and the only other options are Twitter and Facebook (which I’ve managed to avoid so far in my existence).

Is there a secret ‘insufficiently advertised’ email address that I could use? I’ve also got some issues with my account because of its age, and it won’t be something that ‘Kevin from London, yes please thank you goodness gracious sir’ is likely to have in his big book of things to ask. Besides, I’d like to have a paper-trail.
Email this chap
philip.jansen@bt.com.
Be polite and explain your problem in detail
Make sure you give all your contact details and what you have done
to try to fix your problem

Keep a log of all actions in regard to BT
If your contract hasn't got long to run think about changing your ISP

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The Retentions phone number is 0800 783 1401 or +44 179 359 6931 if you can't call free numbers, the voice prompts will ask why you're calling, just say 'Leave BT' or similar and you'll go through to a UK retentions operative.

anglo

LE
The Retentions phone number is 0800 783 1401 or +44 179 359 6931 if you can't call free numbers, the voice prompts will ask why you're calling, just say 'Leave BT' or similar and you'll go through to a UK retentions operative.
Seems the best option in this case and how things are at the present time

Email this chap
philip.jansen@bt.com.
Be polite and explain your problem in detail
Make sure you give all your contact details and what you have done
to try to fix your problem

Keep a log of all actions in regard to BT
If your contract hasn't got long to run think about changing your ISP

Thank you! Yeah, I want to log everything.

Excellent - thank you!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They do have a fair bit of pressure they can bring to bear, A few years ago I was getting nowhere with first & second line script-readers, got pissed off and rang retentions fully wanting to cancel two lines, the guy listened, agreed that the issue should have been dealt with and set up a call with someone who had the ability to get it sorted. Two days later with plenty of 'this is the progress so far' calls (no BB so no emails!) issue sorted.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you! Yeah, I want to log everything.
If you ever have to ring them, ask for a call reference at the start once you have 'passed security'. That will give them a point of reference for the call and also signals to the handler that a) you're serious and b) they'll be held responsible for any lack of promised actions

If you ever have to ring them, ask for a call reference at the start once you have 'passed security'. That will give them a point of reference for the call and also signals to the handler that a) you're serious and b) they'll be held responsible for any lack of promised actions

Now that is a top tip!

I owe you a
pnt2.jpeg

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Find out the name of the CEO, get his email address, tell him what is going on. Don't be abusive. Be factual. The CEO has an equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition, who will take complaints that make it to the CEO's desk extremely seriously.

Worked for me when (I can't now even remember what it was about). I seem to recall in those days his name was something like Paul Verhoeven (obviously it wasn't actually).

Edit. At the end of the series of sales, in October 2001 Sir Peter Bonfield resigned,[34] and was replaced by former Lucent CEO Ben Verwaayen.[35]

Come to think of it. After five weeks of to and fro of dead mobile phones between me and Nokia last month, I found their complaints e-mail. I told them exactly what had happened. I gave them 24 hours to agree to one of two options. If I didn't get a reply, I was going to initiate legal action. I also copied the e-mail to my MP, Nokia's press department and the Daily Mail (plucked from the air). This way they knew they couldn't argue I hadn't sent it because other people were cc:ed on the e-mail. (At first opportunity, I apologised to my MP for wasting his time. He didn't respond, neither did the Mail, but Nokia didn't know that.)

24 hours laters the Care Director of Nokia's parent company personally (his name was on the shipping label) shipped me a brand new boxed phone, and on its receipt, I mailed the heap of junk back to him personally.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Virgin seems to be that way too, tell them you're off and suddenly it's no longer Bombay you're dealing with.

endure

GCM
Virgin seems to be that way too, tell them you're off and suddenly it's no longer Bombay you're dealing with.

I had that problem last year. My Virgin bill was always creeping up a little bit every few months so I took Martin Lewis's advice and rang up telling the 1st line monkey I wanted to cancel. He was so rude I put the phone down in astonishment.

Called again the next day and spoke to a Filipino lady who tried to convince me that taking out a new plan which would actually cost me 20 quid a month more was a good idea.

When I persisted in wanting to cancel I was suddenly talking to a Geordie lad who cut my bill in half in seconds.

I hated having to be bolshie (it's not in my nature) but I suspect I'll have to do the same thing when the contract ends in August.

Everything wot @OneTenner said, best advice I've seen on here, I'd add unfailing politeness and good manners is a must. No matter how exasperating they are.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Everything wot @OneTenner said, best advice I've seen on here, I'd add unfailing politeness and good manners is a must. No matter how exasperating they are.
Definitely be polite, get all your ducks in a row first, but keep it simple - they don't really want to know what you think the problem is, just the symptoms (unless of course, the pikeys really have ripped out 500m of copper....). Bear in mind that the phone service is a obligated service, broadband is not - which is why you will always get a better response to phone line faults (in most cases, BB faults are down to the phone line anyway). Also don't dismiss out of hand that the problem may be on your side of the master socket, do a quiet line test with everything 'as normal' then repeat with only the handset connected to the master socket, if there's no difference, it's reasonable to assume the problem is on BT / Openreach property.

Agreed with politeness and friendliness etc, however for my issue I need the magic openreach address/number.
They laid fibre between 2 villages, straight past a group of a dozen properties(inc mine) without putting in a junction box to tap them in.

Despite having been an early adopter of shouting "please take all my money for fibre, I want to die a wizened blind husk", obvs this didn't get down to the engineers in the field...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Have a look on roadworks.org to see if they've got enabling works planned, check your line here BT Broadband for availability dates There used to be a FTTP rollout checker on the openreach site - can't find it now, might be worth having a browse on the thinkbroadband site & forums?
ETA - try this page, it will give you some FTTP info once you've put in your postcode & house number Fibre broadband

Definitely be polite, get all your ducks in a row first, but keep it simple - they don't really want to know what you think the problem is, just the symptoms (unless of course, the pikeys really have ripped out 500m of copper....). Bear in mind that the phone service is a obligated service, broadband is not - which is why you will always get a better response to phone line faults (in most cases, BB faults are down to the phone line anyway). Also don't dismiss out of hand that the problem may be on your side of the master socket, do a quiet line test with everything 'as normal' then repeat with only the handset connected to the master socket, if there's no difference, it's reasonable to assume the problem is on BT / Openreach property.
Their Indian call centres were an absolute nightmare and were the biggest factor in my binning them a long time ago. I do hope they've improved.

BT cut me off despite me having a direct debit, denied they'd done it, took two months to reconnect and charged me a fee for it, despite still claiming I'd never been cut off. It took about 18 months for a full refund and apology and that was only because I got a very lucky break with a N Ireland call centre who told me who to write to.

I get my first fixed line (fibre) in about 15 years on Wednesday.