Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the US/UK Special Relationship over?

alib

LE
I think it was Mitch McConnoll who said when confronted with a potential Trump Presidency he did not give a damn provided he could pack the Supreme Court to the GOPs liking. It's that body that often shapes the political direction the very lawyerly US goes in. It works because it evolves and most US politics is actually local not Federal.

But you do decry the support others gave. In an earlier post, you describe the US entry to WW2 as "dawdling".

I contend that until December 7 1941, there was no reason for the US to enter the war, which prior to that time was limited in scope to Europe & N Africa. Once the Japs attacked and allied themselves with Germany, then it became a global war. There was synergy in the Far East and Pacific between the Allies, given the Empire territories and US territories.

Don't blame the US for not coming running because the UK defended Poland and got its ass kicked at Dunkirk. But once the Japs shit on the US, stand-fcuking-by.
I rest my case!

A
I don't think the US "engineered system" can be changed at this point. It's too deeply ingrained into their political consciousness. However, it's not what I would select if I were given a choice.

It took a wilderness colony are turned it into the richest and most formidable industrial and military power the world has seen since the fall of the Roman Empire.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Having heard this on Radio 4 this morning and seen this on the "tinternet" could it be that the UK defence cuts chickens are finaly coming home to roost?

End of the 'special relationship'? Secret US memo reportedly says UK losing influence with Washington
Seems Obama has been calling everyone out - calling the Saudis 'free riders'.

The KSA fairytale Princes don't seem happy about it:

Mr. Obama, we are not ‘free riders’
(precise: do you want our ******* money or not?)

HM not going to be in London to meet Obama when he visits.

Wonder why?

Seems that’s one relationship that may be at an end.

Deploy the MODplod to the front of Windsor Castle and direct all his entourage and their silly big cars to the municipal car-park whilst Obama has a light and frugal lunch accompanied by frosty politeness and Prince Phillip's utter contempt.

The Saudis didn't take that Atlantic piece well either, they don't like being lectured by The Help.

Unlike the UK they have certainly paid for Barry's unsatisfactory services handsomely. Loads of fancy kit that has proved rather less helpful than expected in Yemen. They've ended up relying on very unreliable local Salafists and Southern Secessionists to do the donkey work in repressing the revolt.

Shiny kit is no good if you can't be bothered to learn how to look after it and use it properly. Something the Saudis are singularly bad at. If they weren't, BAE wouldn't have made so much dosh doing work the RSAF should be doing.....

alib

LE
It wasn't like the KSA used to buy all that neglected kit to actually use it in anger.

Nice spot of commission for some Prince and some political leveraged purchased in London. That certainly works judged by the way Dave comes bounding to heal on Riyadh's whim. It gets insanely expensive when they do, $40 million/day being flushed down the pan in Yemen at the moment.

Deploy the MODplod to the front of Windsor Castle and direct all his entourage and their silly big cars to the municipal car-park whilst Obama has a light and frugal lunch accompanied by frosty politeness and Prince Phillip's utter contempt.
Really don't think Phill was ever going to be there in the first place. Would have offended Obama in the first few minutes.

Got to remember. Big chip/Douglas Pine on the shoulder, Race card at the ready. They have perfected the fast draw where that is concerned.

It wasn't like the KSA used to buy all that neglected kit to actually use it in anger.

Nice spot of commission for some Prince and some political leveraged purchased in London. That certainly works judged by the way Dave comes bounding to heal on Riyadh's whim. It gets insanely expensive when they do, $40 million/day being flushed down the pan in Yemen at the moment.
Which is why they are now in the market for loans.

Camel to camel in three generations, goes the racist slander.

One wonders where this terrible fantasy racism comes from.

Surely not from real life example...shock, horror, dismay.

Terrible just....awful.

I have bumped this so I don’t pollute the carrier thread.

Not really interested in the political ‘special relationship’ that every country has with the US so more to do with the actual interactions.

US Boomers at Faslane, why? The idea is they don’t have to surface anywhere?

F-15C fighters, don’t have any QRA responsibility, even token, why here, is the Mach Loop that awesome a training ground?

I have no idea on the Army deployments.

Down to brass tacks, is it just a show of allied force for NATO (which is a tactical move) or is there another tactical benefit, even the UK would need to deploy if Russia got more aggressive?

Yokel

LE
I have bumped this so I don’t pollute the carrier thread.

Not really interested in the political ‘special relationship’ that every country has with the US so more to do with the actual interactions.

US Boomers at Faslane, why? The idea is they don’t have to surface anywhere?

F-15C fighters, don’t have any QRA responsibility, even token, why here, is the Mach Loop that awesome a training ground?

I have no idea on the Army deployments.

Down to brass tacks, is it just a show of allied force for NATO (which is a tactical move) or is there another tactical benefit, even the UK would need to deploy if Russia got more aggressive?

Faslsne is one of the few ports that the American SSBNs can fit into and is secure enough for them to do so. USAF aircraft are based in the UK for NATO roles. QRA is a national responsibility.

In a dire situation we can request assistance from US forces stationed here. As far as I know that has only happened for Search And Rescue with USAF HH-53 Jolly Greens having a longer range than any UK helicopter.