Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the US/UK Special Relationship over?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
No. There's no sentiment about the UK-US relationship, it's hugely strong where it matters and closer than any other bilateral relationship in the world as it's highly advantageous to both sides. Ditto the extended Aus-Can-NZ constellation as well, just not quite as much.

This is not the CRS report under discussion, but it is a recent CRS report on the subject which is worth reading, lacking as it does the sensationalist glosses of the media

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33105.pdf

The special relationship between the UK and US is doing quite nicely (perhaps better than the special, special relationship between the US and Israel), and will continue to do so as long as the UK has something to offer.

No. There's no sentiment about the UK-US relationship, it's hugely strong where it matters and closer than any other bilateral relationship in the world as it's highly advantageous to both sides. Ditto the extended Aus-Can-NZ constellation as well, just not quite as much.

Seconded.

The problem is that various politicians and newspapers get terribly excised over the fact that the US appears to have national interests which aren't always the same as those of the UK and the former colonials, would you believe it, have the temerity to pursue their own interests rather than ours, damn it... It's that sort of shabby behaviour towards close allies which... well, made the British Empire the strongest in the world.

As Glad_its_all_over says, where it really matters, it's very strong; and in other areas it varies because US and UK national interest will differ and our approaches will differ.

Even when Grenada got an unannounced visit from Uncle Sam without Mrs T knowing, the Special Relationship overall carried on just fine, after the President got a good telling off...

(Reagan, mid-handbagging, held the 'phone out so that the others in the room could hear the diatribe and said, with awe and admiration 'Isn't she just magnificent?' before putting the phone back to his ear and attempting [and failing for some time] to get a word in edgeways...)

Lomax

War Hero
Well if you will get your 'news' from a Russian propaganda outlet

The story looks legit, and references an original story written by the Daily Mail, but RT can produce an original and insightful report sometimes, especially when there is no Kremlin interest in it. Although in this case I expect RT seized on it because they love anything that shows a split between the US and UK.

As for the story, I think there is an element of truth in it, more because China and Asia is a rising concern to the US then concern then anything else, we are not significant in Asia anymore, and despite Vlad's antics he's still many miles away from threatening European Hegemony, so our importance has declined.

But it is interesting how they attach significance for the UK being part of the EU

The memo, prepared by the US Congressional Research Service, also reportedly touches on a potential UK exit from the EU following an ‘Out’ vote in a referendum: "Both the positive and the negative aspects of a prospective life outside the EU are more difficult to foresee," it notes.
They were keen for us to join the EU back in the 70's, yet as one small country in Europe our voice is very small indeed, much smaller inside as part of a proportional voting system then outside using our influence as a 1st world economy and military power. I wonder if their policy interest in our EU membership is more to keep us under control, then to keep continental Europe under control?

S0I

LE
The story looks legit, and references an original story written by the Daily Mail, but RT can produce an original and insightful report sometimes, especially when there is no Kremlin interest in it. Although in this case I expect RT seized on it because they love anything that shows a split between the US and UK.

As for the story, I think there is an element of truth in it, more because China and Asia is a rising concern to the US then concern then anything else, we are not significant in Asia anymore, and despite Vlad's antics he's still many miles away from threatening European Hegemony, so our importance has declined.

But it is interesting how they attach significance for the UK being part of the EU

The memo, prepared by the US Congressional Research Service, also reportedly touches on a potential UK exit from the EU following an ‘Out’ vote in a referendum: "Both the positive and the negative aspects of a prospective life outside the EU are more difficult to foresee," it notes.
They were keen for us to join the EU back in the 70's, yet as one small country in Europe our voice is very small indeed, much smaller inside as part of a proportional voting system then outside using our influence as a 1st world economy and military power. I wonder if their policy interest in our EU membership is more to keep us under control, then to keep continental Europe under control?

“Who do I call if I want to call Europe?”
Dr Henry Kissenger

Lomax

War Hero
“Who do I call if I want to call Europe?”
Dr Henry Kissenger

I'd hope more than one country, thanks to the efforts of previous generations of Britons I might add.

If they called the EU with the intention of calling Europe they'd be fooling themselves, the constituent nations disagree over many matters both serious and trivial. With the recent events today no one could claim the Greeks would accept the Germans speaking for them in matters of national importance, anymore than the Germans would accept the Greeks doing the same for them.

S0I

LE
I'd hope more than one country, thanks to the efforts of previous generations of Britons I might add.

If they called the EU with the intention of calling Europe they'd be fooling themselves, the constituent nations disagree over many matters both serious and trivial. With the recent events today no one could claim the Greeks would accept the Germans speaking for them in matters of national importance, anymore than the Germans would accept the Greeks doing the same for them.

And so, when America needs to speak to people this side of the Pond, it rings London

And so, when America needs to speak to people this side of the Pond, it rings London
Have to you know...you're the only chaps who speak a civilized language. ;-) You never really know where you are with those foreign Johnnies. Frogs, Eyeties, Boxheads, etc. :p :p

Yokel

LE
I bet impressing the US and the Special Relationship were used as reasons for putting British forces into Helmand and having a Helmand centred defence policy.