Is the UK approaching Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Deadreckon, Jan 20, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I'm stockpiling tinned goods and looting the Armoury

68.8%
  2. No, its just fleet street flutters

19.4%
  3. What would I know I'm in banking/Politics/Civil Service?

11.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't find a similar thread (though there is much on the economic woes) Having just read:

Robert Peston on the BBC here who quotes Jim Rogers:

Jim Rogers, the well-known investor, to Bloomberg: "I would urge you to sell any sterling you might have...It's finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK."

And Peter Oborne who puts it more bluntly here

Is the UK about to go down the toliet and get a visit from the IMF or is this just press hysteria... bearing in mind I have just cited the Hate on Sunday.

Edited for phat fingers typos

2. I just voted and for once in my life I am the majority. Got all my savings in Deutschland, converted everyting to Euro, sitting in the bunker, tin hat on waiting for the end.

3. I'm no expert ISC&P but I reckon the Euro is headed down the pan as well. If I had any dosh I think I'd take a punt on the Swiss Franc.

4. This Labour government will end like the last one, going cap in hand to the IMF. We lived through it before, we'll cope somehow this time. Then Labour will split and the Tories will win at least two terms. God help us all.

5. The problem is that we are taking on too much debt.

The ONLY real solution would have been to let the banks go to the wall and reimburse all the savers.

Bailing out the banks only means that they refuse to take even the slightest of risks, and are only happy giving away loans to foreign nationals who stand a chance of paying it back.

Once Gordo switches on the printing presses we really are finished. Troops on the streets as the middle classes realise how the govt. has screwed them as their savings dissapear due to inflation.

6. I dont really care who wins the next election so long as its not this bunch of thieving lying mendacious cnuts that are in power today. The next government is going to be deeply unpopular when its trying to recover the economy from the depths to which it will continue to sink under Brown and Darling's stewardship. I cant see Osborne/Cameron having the skills to solve this mess, even with Ken Clarke on the team. I predict only one term before whatever is left of Nu Liarbour is back in favour, although I hope sincerely that we have held an uprising and thrown every one of their leadership off Beachy Head.

The pound is truly stuffed, with little hope of an early recovery, it may be even beyond resuscitation this time.

7. It is the ease at which Brown is thoughtlessly throwing our £Billions around that amazes me.

8. This comment from the BBC Have Your Say site about bailing out the banks yet again......

Added: Monday, 19 January, 2009, 08:08 GMT 08:08 UK

I do not agree with the extra bank bail outs. I have friends who work for Natwest (RBS) & they're just about to receive a 11% pay rise!! Why is this when the banks can't support themselves. Its a continuing case of the greed of bankers.

Andrew Davids, Taunton

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?sortBy=2&forumID=5927&edition=1&ttl=20090120155229&#paginator

9. I am waiting for the printing of the million pound note

10. surely it's gotta be cheaper to let the banks go to the wall and just reimburse savers ?????

Those poncy tossers with their big houses ripping us off all these years and pissing away our pensions (BUT not theirs) and then having the cheek to come cap-in-hand for money ....................... I want to see them all living in cardboard boxes.

Nationalise everything and run them all as non profit making organisations comrade !! Take the gas/water/electric off the foreigners and tell them to piss off too.

Rant over - I feel so much better for that !

D_B

11. Brown must be rubbing his hands with glee. Nationalising everything in sight, taking control of everything.

12. Brown has the reverse of the midas touch - whatever he touches turns to sh1te

13. If only the stuff he was nationalising was worth a damn, he seems intent on selling off anything that is.

14. You see the cunning plan...

I actually think he wants to do that, perhaps he can go after the energy companies and the rail networks next?

15. If Brown and Darling continue to spend money like this I would say that has to be a yes.