Is the Treasury Stealing from the Poppy Collection Box?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ishinryu, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got sent this from a mate of mine and it appears to be genuine, but could anybody else shed light on it?

Service Charities

If it is true, anyone thinking of doing a bit of fundraising for a charity on MOD property had better ensure that they can get the money gift aided.

I couldn't believe it when I read it, but the way that this government is going I wouldn't be surprised.

This year I will be buying my poppy from the Veteren outside my local shops. I am buggered if the treasury are going to take 15% of any money I donate to the RBL.

Ish

2. It's all true.

See an earlier Govt Response:

As to the culprit finding new found blame (even though it's been about since '77):

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l31006.htm

3. Just to clarify, Poppy sales are not effected by the Treasury rules that are imposed on Forces Charity events held on DE land.

Please sign and pass on to all your contacts, we really need to stop such red tape hampering the good work that Service Charity provide for our People in the name of HMF

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/servicecharities/

4. The barstewards!!!!!!petition signed

5. Signed the B*****ds

6. 8) Who knows? who handles the cash?they milk the loto to help for the games, the govt cannot be trusted. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

7. Service charities have to pay. Yet, strangely enough the Smith Institute charity pays nothing at all when it organises functions at Downing Street.

That would be the same Smith Institute that was set up by Gordon Brown.

The very same Smith Institute that gave Ed Balls a lucrative 'job' so he could pay the bills while campaigning to become an MP.

Identical to the Smith Institute that, as a registered charity, used taxpayer subsidies to import American election consultants when Gordon Brown was campaigning for the Labour leadership. (You don't expect him to put his hand in his own pocket do you? Not when he can put his hand in ours).

And in case you were wondering - yes its the very same Smith Institute that's currently under investigation by the Charity Commission for breaking the law that prohibits charities from political campaigning.

8. More important than VAT - are you or the RBL reclaiming your income tax paid on your donation?

If you give £10 to the RBL, but don't GiftAid it, you are wasting £2.80 in income tax that the charity could have claimed back from Alistair Darling or £5.10 if you are a higher rate taxpayer (£2.80 to the charity, £2.30 you have to reclaim yourself).

If you are giving more than a few pence, do it via Justgiving.co.uk or similar methods that allow you to GiftAid your donations.