Is the Tory Party finally developing a conscience?

Marginal rate of Income Tax in England is actually 60% for those earning £100,000 to £123,000 as the personal allowance decreases from £11,500 by £1 for every £2 you earn, until it reaches £0

NIC is of course in addition.
Except that anyone earning that kind of salary benefits from Accountancy advice and will not be paying anywhere near that in taxation if they have any sense

Except that anyone earning that kind of salary benefits from Accountancy advice and will not be paying anywhere near that in taxation if they have any sense
Maybe.

Not all accountants are as up to speed in these issues as they should be.

Many don't even know about claiming HRT relief on individual pension contributions*, and I've (literally) just pointed out on an Accountancy website that if a Director did as suggested in one article, and paid £170k to pension, they'd trigger the tapered Annual Allowance and face a nasty tax bill as the earnings used in the article trigger the taper.

Contributions would actually be limited to £10k unless carry forward was available.

*5-6 years ago I was doing some tax mitigation work for a Partner in a major practice; earning some £800k. He was looking to maximise his pension put ( via another IFA) and he mentioned he was topping up his fund with a single premium IRO £100k. I asked ( as I always do) if he was going to claim higher rate tax relief on his single premium - he had no idea he could...

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
No but the alternatives are even worse! Corbyn has two main problems, one is a smear campaign by the press, the other is that he is being undermined by the Blairites. I did not think Cameron was a good leader, more of an aspiring stand up comedian! May is someone else who is a poor leader, much like Brown was. I don't see an answer, as I would not vote for another Blairite career politician. I cannot stand Abbot or Thornbury. and since the UK is leaving the EU, I no longer see a reason to vote for Ukip. But I do not want to spend another 5 years living under a Tory govenment, so it could be time to go elsewhere.
That's actually spot on there! See this for how bad the right-wing bias is:
The mainstream media propaganda war against Jeremy Corbyn
But there's also this:
Read the Jeremy Corbyn speech the right-wing press don't want you to

And anyone who thinks Theresa Maybe is even serious about her "shared society" should take a good look at her parliamentary voting record. For this is the politician who, as Home Secretary:

voted for the bedroom tax;
voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability;
voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits;
voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed;
voted for increasing the rate of VAT;
voted against increasing the tax rate applied to income over £150,000;
voted against a banker’s bonus tax;
voted against an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax);
voted for more restrictive regulation of trade union activity;
voted for reducing capital gains tax;
voted against laws to promote equality and human rights.

That alone should dispel any illusions about what she really wants.

MsG

And anyone who thinks Theresa Maybe is even serious about her "shared society" should take a good look at her parliamentary voting record. For this is the politician who, as Home Secretary:

voted for the bedroom tax; GOOD!
voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability; GOOD!
voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits;GOOD!
voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed;GOOD!
voted for increasing the rate of VAT;GOOD!
voted against increasing the tax rate applied to income over £150,000;GOOD!
voted against a banker’s bonus tax;GOOD!
voted against an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax);GOOD!
voted for more restrictive regulation of trade union activity;GOOD!
voted for reducing capital gains tax;GOOD!
voted against laws to promote equality and human rights.GOOD!

MsG

GOOD!!!
Seems she wants to reward hard work and make slacking on the dole a painful experience.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That's actually spot on there! See this for how bad the right-wing bias is:
The mainstream media propaganda war against Jeremy Corbyn
But there's also this:
Read the Jeremy Corbyn speech the right-wing press don't want you to

voted for the bedroom tax;
voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability;
voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits;
voted against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed;
voted for increasing the rate of VAT;
voted against increasing the tax rate applied to income over £150,000;
voted against a banker’s bonus tax;
voted against an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax);
voted for more restrictive regulation of trade union activity;
voted for reducing capital gains tax;
voted against laws to promote equality and human rights.

MsG
At least she's consistent.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the NHS can set an example? IIRC of six or seven Trusts where I contracted doing finance work back in the late 2000s the majority had an active policy of paying suppliers as late as they could, including in at least once case me as no one would make themselves available to sign off my timesheets...
I understand your problem and I know just how annoying it can be, for as a freelancer it regularly happens to me too. I'm sure that with a re-nationalisation of the NHS, an across-the-board policy could be enacted to ensure that folks like yourself are paid without delay. I believe that the problem lies with the fact that the NHS Trusts are quasi-independent (semi-privatised?) and make up their own rules (probably as they go along), which leaves folks like you and me wasting time chasing our money.

If you've read the article on Corbyn's speech, then you'll see that they (Labour) are aware of the problem (and it really is a problem). The question is: why havent' the Tories (as the "Volkspartei") done anything about it either?

However, it was much the same with the scumbag parking robbers, who immobilised anything they could, even if a vehicle was stopped at the traffic-lights sometimes. Why did it take the UK gobment about 20 years to finally outlaw the practice and finally catch up with the Scottish legislation? Answers on a postcard, and all that.

MsG

TM has been perhaps the most inspirational leader since Margaret Thatcher. She is quick incisive, thinks on her feet, is very articulate, and most importantly actually talks sense.

Corbyn is an absolute disaster. Seemingly retarded, talks nonsense, lies, and is leading his party down a plughole.

Not to see what he is doing for the ‘cause’ indicates a form of ignorance /brain fade/intellectual myopia that appears beyond help.

But be assured, it is making many very happy... and for you, not to see that, oddly quite reassuring.

Last edited:
TM has been perhaps the most inspirational leader since Margaret Thatcher. She is quick incisive, thinks on her feet
She's really not you know. She's better than Corbyn, which doesn't say much because I'm fairly certain my six year old could out-debate him, but May isn't great if she's challenged.

Thatcher or Blair would rip her to shreds without even thinking about it.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
And like many may well have changed her mind, particularly after getting into power and having more access to information she may not have known.
Similar information to Cameron and Osborne no doubt. They packed it in, she decided to go for it. I'd like to have been a fly on that wall.

Latest Threads