Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Is the Smart Phone taking over our lives

How else am i supposed to keep up with ARRSE while on the move, beats working.

Besides Mrs beemer takes advantage of free International calls/texts using one so can't be all bad.

But:

Mobile phone signals are not known to kill bees, and colony collapses have occurred in remote areas, far out of any mobile signal range. Still, somethings knackering the bee population, and this seems as plausible as any other theory.

Pretty sure that Mobiles have carcinogenic side effects (cancer) lets not mention that though.. its not been proved... though mobiles have been around for long enough to prove this either way... conspiracy brewing.

Certainly the smartphone is very useful, but what about all the information it sends back to base, government, whatever. Here a cause for concern. Unless you remove battery (except eyephone) can you be sure that even though you turned it off, it will actually still be secretly active and recording sound and sending it to...........

Certainly the smartphone is very useful, but what about all the information it sends back to base, government, whatever. Here a cause for concern. Unless you remove battery (except eyephone) can you be sure that even though you turned it off, it will actually still be secretly active and recording sound and sending it to...........

Who would be interested in what you have to say? I, for one, am not, nor do I think anyone else is. Paranoid knob head Dr. Who walt.

well...trying to meet up with a friend of mine on london the other week - no idea where I am because apart from work and the train stations I use a lot I have no idea where things are - started up the gps on my blackberry and sent him a text giving my position which his phone then converts into directions. that was quite handy.

Recording sound my arse. And the phone needs to know where IT is, otherwise it won't work, GPS or no. HMG doesn't track YOU, the mobile operators track the phone for the reason I have stated.

These days it’s iPod this and iPhone that, but it’s not all as new as most people think. When I was at school there was a kid with an Eye Patch. I don’t know what he was watching but it must have been good ‘cause he never took the bloody thing off.

What most people have forgotten is that we're talking about a 'phone. You hold it up to your ear, listen at one end and talk at the other.

If you want to sent text then write a letter or, if it's urgent, send an email. Any SMS messages I receive are deleted without being read - it's amazing how quickly they stop arriving.

The only time mine is on is when I'm not at home and I absolutely have to call someone (the AA for example) or when I'm out and expecting a call.

And as for paying a monthly fee on top of call charges...

ten years ago they were not bricks, now back in 88-89 they were bricks!!

Here you go love, for the younger semesters!

Attachments

• 1298410750_w423_h290.jpg
    1298410750_w423_h290.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 720
  • 1298410787_w337_h397.jpg
    1298410787_w337_h397.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 486
It nearly changed life permanently for a guy on Monday night, so absorbed was he in his phone that he just walked into the road in front of my car.
I saw the same in town yesterday. The really amusing ones are those who are texting and using their ipod at once. Totally oblivious to their surroundings, it's a wonder more of them aren't killed - an electronic form of unnatural selection.

Would it be ghoulish to follow the really heedless ones around, to see if they get flattened or not?

Edit; I have neither phone nor ipod, nor any intention of acquiring either.