Is the Schengen Agreement finished?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Denmark has now unilaterlally said that it will no longer agree to the Schengen Agreement and will re-impose border controls.

France 24 report

Denmark is getting fed up with illegal people and drug movements and is going to bring back border control. EU spokesmen getting their knickers in a twist :
    So the EU is telling a sovereign country what they can or cannot do. Time to get out of the EU?
  2. Why would immigrants want to move to the most expensive country in the EU?!
  3. Good for Denmark!
  4. I wonder how they'll police their borders, now that most countries in the Schengen area no longer even have any fences or physical barriers - or the border guards to police them?
  5. Probably the same way they used to do it.

6. Their Bacon?
  7. Because it has a very high quality of life and a very generous and comprehensive welfare system that is being exploited ruthlessly.
  8. I'm guessing trains would be the main way of getting in, if the controls were to be reimposed.
  9. IIRC most border crossing points are still in existence although not manned, and were usable on occasions whenever the countries wished to put controls in. I recall the border between Germany and Holland being subject to customs and passport control on a number of occasions in the last 15 years.
  10. Whilst in the eyes of the do-gooders the open borders policy is a good thing, it has some very real issues: the free movement of the criminal fraternity, terrorists, illegal aliens and products. As for Denmark being made to look a pariah by the faceless, gravy train passengers in Bruxelles, they are too late - they have missed the bus because they are blind!! Many countries are already operating selective border controls, it is happening at Biriatou, Le Pertus & Bourg Madame (Franco-Spanish Border), Grimaldi, Frejus & Blanc Tunnels (Franco-Italian Border) and Lugarno (Swiss-Italian Border), so this is nothing new. Likewise our border control police are now boarding trains from Italy to check documentation and the same at our seaport along the channel coast. As for setting up further border controls, it is just a matter of manpower, most if not all of the infrastructure is already in place. The upside of border control is that it will reduce unemployment, so in one way it is a good thing. Here in Brittany we have seen an upsurge in requests for our papers by the authorities, no problem we all carry our ID in our purses and wallets, we have nothing to fear.

Should the agreement be torn up and I for one think it should, it will impose tighter controls on immigration, which is a good thing. Hopefully the immigrant camps along our channel coast will disappear and it will return some of the lost sovereignty we have all lost to the snuffle pigs in Bruxelles, Strasbourg & The Hague.

No I am NOT a racist Breton bitch, I believe that every nation should have responsibility for its borders, it should not be in the hands of faceless, unelected bureaucrats in Ivory Towers.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The beginning of the end...

Like what Emsav says border control is already operating on the QT so good on Denmark to publicly state its intentions of ripping up the Agreement. If it doesn't work or is bad for a member state, it needs to be re-examined.
  12. That's exactly the case. Driving all over Europe, the points are still there. Easy to stick the guys back in them, and get them to pull over vehicles.
  13. Good on Denmark.

Asylum seekers(read illegal immigrants,criminals,benefit scroungers and terrorists) need to be kept out of all of Europe and the maximum number of internal checks imposed to hinder the entry and movement of these scum to and within Europe is a good thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. France has started to stop trains from Italy and is stoping all the Africans it finds on them from entering.
  15. I don't know which Europe you're thinking of, but the one where I am that is not so. On the Autobahn crossings a lot of customs posts are still active, eg near Aachen, but the smaller ones have been pulled down years ago eg Vlodrop near Heinsberg. Mobile checks are still in force, but there is neither the man power nor the money to put up and man customs posts. The same deal applies to the Belgium/French border and the Belgium/Netherlands border.