Is the RBL aka Royal British Legion now simply a scam?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Forget how much money they have in the bank, check out the prices of some of the stuff the RBL sell

1636135071117.png

1636135265604.png

Interesting.

The case of Nestle vs. NatWest held that, in the absence of overriding considerations, Trustees should invest a fairly high proportion of the fund in equities.

I can't recall the suggested percentage - it might have been "a reasonable proportion" - one for @dingerr ?

The law surrounding charities is quite complicated. Any comment I made would be quite uninformed.

I did find this though.

I’m not RBLs biggest fan, even though I am involved with their B22 company. I find their advertising disingenuous, the current crop of adverts appear Afghan/Iraq focused as they ride on the emotions of the public to give. It feels like they aren’t totally honest.

There are other reasons and maybe I’ll go into them later.

The law surrounding charities is quite complicated. Any comment I made would be quite uninformed.

I did find this though.

I’m not RBLs biggest fan, even though I am involved with their B22 company. I find their advertising disingenuous, the current crop of adverts appear Afghan/Iraq focused as they ride on the emotions of the public to give. It feels like they aren’t totally honest.

There are other reasons and maybe I’ll go into them later.
You'll find the RBL aren't the only NGO/charity to ride on emotions of gen-pop, every other military themed "charity themed business which gets you a tax rebate quicker " or start enterpprie use alot of the images available from the MOD public library to curry flavour/attract attraction... and majority them are actually Afghan

endure

GCM
You'll find the RBL aren't the only NGO/charity to ride on emotions of gen-pop, every other military themed "charity themed business which gets you a tax rebate quicker " or start enterpprie use alot of the images available from the MOD public library to curry flavour/attract attraction... and majority them are actually Afghan
:rofl:

There’s nothing wrong with charities using emotions, but don’t mislead people. As was reported on another thread, the RBL provides charity giving for every man and his dog. It‘s never mentioned.

I tell charities to use my image for best effect, why not if it helps?

RBL is also one of those charities guilty of empire building and causing problems for other mil charities such as H4H, when they should all be pulling in the same direction.

Expect RBL is no worse than most.
The only thing I have trouble getting my head round is the income their top bods get.
Dave Milliband ,head of a well known charity,his yearly income would require me and the rest of my town,s residents to give £30 each [25000] just to cover his wages.
Makes it very hard for me to join in .

There’s nothing wrong with charities using emotions, but don’t mislead people. As was reported on another thread, the RBL provides charity giving for every man and his dog. It‘s never mentioned.

I tell charities to use my image for best effect, why not if it helps?

RBL is also one of those charities guilty of empire building and causing problems for other mil charities such as H4H, when they should all be pulling in the same direction.
If you want a dodgy charity, look no further than H4H! Go and pay poor old Tidworth House a visit if you want to see how far they’ve descended into the mire.
Never liked Bryan Parry, bloody self-serving charlatan if ever there was one.

Yokel

LE
Forget how much money they have in the bank, check out the prices of some of the stuff the RBL sell

View attachment 613906

View attachment 613908

Could it be why they have a decent reserve in the bank, and can spend twice as much again on helping people? If people have that sort of money to burn then why not get some good out of it?

Wow, I could have those done in India a dozen for a fraction of the price.

New business venture on the horizon

Two words - Intellectual Property. Selling gifts is one of the ways charities raise funds.

If you want a dodgy charity, look no further than H4H! Go and pay poor old Tidworth House a visit if you want to see how far they’ve descended into the mire.
Never liked Bryan Parry, bloody self-serving charlatan if ever there was one.

I disagree. Lets address your particular issues. I’ll either have an answer or if I don’t I’ll email Mark Elliot direct and get back to you on it.

I also think you’re wrong about Bryn Parry. H4H was never intended to be what it ending up being.

Last edited:
I had a grand day out today.
I stacked the last delivery of logs. Persuaded Mrs R to take the afternoon off. Headed for a nearby boozer. Closed because of COVID!
Randomly found another pub with great beer. And she she has the most squidgable/ fat bum I have ever seen.
The barmaid, that is.
Oh, almost forgot. Bought poppies.
I will wear mine in work.
Mrs R said ”need a poppy”. Mrs R is ex-Spr.
Works from home but wants to wear her poppy.

Last edited:
aren't the only NGO/charity to ride on emotions of gen-pop,
This lot is the one that gets me every year! I’ve got no problem with the charity it’s self. Children in Need! We get swamped by the Beeb every time this time of year, just why have they got to do it at the same time as TPA.
It’s got to hurt both charities financially, except on the Beeb there’s an ad every five minutes for some bloody kid drinking shitty water (why don’t they boil it?) after the new well pump they were given was nicked for the local war lord.
Then six months later on the Beeb again, Red shonk or Sportwank! And another celebrity wandering around a village wringing their knuckles going “whoa is me!”
Combine the three for Christs sake and do it in April or May!!!
It can be called Sports Nose Need Children Relief

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
This is what puts people off the idea of running charities I reckon.

Run them badly and the people you want to support lose out.

Run it well and you're subject to scrutiny and criticism and accusations from people with neither the business acumen, experience, determination nor motivation to do the same thing themselves.

Oh, while we're at it, the poppies aren't made in China.
Originally made in Richmond but now produced in Aylesford, Kent and Edinburgh.

Mind you, got our poppies yesterday. Just a little table outside Iceland in Spain with a bucket for putting the money in. The amount that weren't poppies - bracelets, badges, car n stickers etc - and she asked if I wanted a badge instead when we each stuck €5 in the box. Nope, just the paper one, please.

Yokel

LE
This is what puts people off the idea of running charities I reckon.

Run them badly and the people you want to support lose out.

Run it well and you're subject to scrutiny and criticism and accusations from people with neither the business acumen, experience, determination nor motivation to do the same thing themselves.

Those that can - do. Those that cannot - moan and bitch on social media.

Mind you, got our poppies yesterday. Just a little table outside Iceland in Spain with a bucket for putting the money in. The amount that weren't poppies - bracelets, badges, car n stickers etc - and she asked if I wanted a badge instead when we each stuck €5 in the box. Nope, just the paper one, please.

I am sure that the Poppy factories make a point of employing veterans, including disabled ones. I suspect that jewellery and the like are also made in the UK. The Poppy Factory is also the name of an organisation run by RBL to help veterans with health issues get back into the workplace.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Strangely, these are the things that people pay good money for. On Thursday at Cannon St station, one of the lad's wives had hand knitted/crocheted a dozen collars for travel mugs, one guy came along and donated 100 quid for one to use as a neck warmer for his Dachshund, we had people giving 20 quid for hand kitted poppies, the bling items such as cufflinks, brooches etc were all going for around the 20 quid mark as well, all made easier now due to utitlising contactless pay machines. People ask how much things are, we get given a suggested donation card, but just tell people to give what they think they are worth and most times it's more than the suggested price. By lunchtime, we'd made over 4,000 pounds on machines alone and had emptied the collection buckets twice with 4 cash bags awaiting collection, mainly notes.

Strangely, these are the things that people pay good money for. On Thursday at Cannon St station, one of the lad's wives had hand knitted/crocheted a dozen collars for travel mugs, one guy came along and donated 100 quid for one to use as a neck warmer for his Dachshund, we had people giving 20 quid for hand kitted poppies, the bling items such as cufflinks, brooches etc were all going for around the 20 quid mark as well, all made easier now due to utitlising contactless pay machines. People ask how much things are, we get given a suggested donation card, but just tell people to give what they think they are worth and most times it's more than the suggested price. By lunchtime, we'd made over 4,000 pounds on machines alone and had emptied the collection buckets twice with 4 cash bags awaiting collection, mainly notes.
Great effort mate.

Latest Threads