Is the public appetite for outrage going to change?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pigshyt_Freeman, Jan 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just this week, there has been Diane Abbot and her 'white people', Jeremy Clarkson with a jest in poor taste about Chinese synchronised swimming and Morecambe Bay, and Cameron likening Ed Balls's semi-coherent outbursts to a victim of Tourette's Syndrome, with predictable outrage-bus tours over each. For the last, the BBC had obtained the services of the mother of a Tourette's sufferer (not however an actual sufferer, suggesting that the BBC are not as PC as they would have us believe) to denounce Cameron for the usual things.

The noise of this crescendo of offence particularly caught my attention, after reading Iolis' thought-provoking contribution to the Diane Abbot thread, in which he referred to the 'ten minute hate' to be directed at a more-or-less arbitrarily selected target, keeping the Proles occupied and their eyes off the ball. My mind goes particularly back to Jade Goody, who was for a while the most reviled person in the land on the grounds of her weight and comparative lack of education compared to that of tabloid readers, who as a result of this had the Guardian Posse ride to her rescue and raise her to the status of the indomitable triumpher over prejudice and poverty, only for her to be cast down with curses and imprecations by them when she directed a couple of playground taunts at an Indian actress, and then became near-enough a secular saint after dying of a cervical cancer for whose unchecked growth her foolish inaction was at least in part responsible.

Given that there are three 'major' (as in, front-page news) offence stories within as many days, will the public tire of this as they have in the past tired of other fads? Public boredom seems the only relief in prospect, as there is little sign that those at the heart of what I will call the 'offence culture' will back down after being hoist with their own petard. Indeed, as the Diane Abbott affair shows, when one of the 'offence community leaders' makes a slip, the response is not a rueful recognition that things may be going too far, but a redoubled effort to throw blame elsewhere.

2. I'd get on the f**king bus but the f**king thing is standing f**king room only! I'm f**king outraged so I f**king am!:eye:

And yes, Ed 'I'm f**king outraged!' Balls is a f**king annoying f**ker:crash:

3. There'll be another one along in a minute or two.

(Bus or outrage, either/both; as you say, it keeps those who can't focus on bigger issues engaged with the media, who are happy to feed them drivel dressed as caviar.)

4. I see no outrange in Camerons comments about ed balls, in fact its the truth!!

5. Assuming this isn't a wah, Cameron is accused of being insensitive to victims of Tourette's, rather than hurtful to Ed Balls. Much as he would be reproved for calling someone a 'spastic'. Having decided some time back that 'spastics' and 'mongs' are neither funny nor suitable for disdainful comparison, society now seems to be deciding the same for Tourette's.

6. As much as I like to get outraged (mainly because I'm a grumpy sod) if people just accepted that some people will say things that other people find offensive life would be a whole lot simpler. The only time I have a real problem with what people say is if they are being hypocritical in the way Diane Abbott was last week. If a politician says something you find offensive don't vote for them, if a comedian tells a joke you don't find funny don't watch them, if a TV presenter says something offensive then don't watch their programme; it's really quite simple.

Of course if someone is using their words to incite or inflame a situation then that becomes a criminal matter.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are too many professional 'offence takers' who devalue the occassions when someone does say something that should be illegal.

7. How can you be a 'victim' of tourettes, does some passing swear word sneak up and scream in your ear?

• Like Like x 1
  8. How much is "public outrage" and how much is "contrived outrage by liberal and/or low-brow media"?

The BBC seems to be very shrieky about anything it perceives impinges on its vision of a liberal PC world, whilst the likes of the Mail and other trash papers simply seem to compete for the most sensationalist headline, regardless of truthfulness or accuracy. Its hard to think of any mainstream media outlet that sticks with balanced and researched "news" - even the Torygraph has long descended into pap.

On my list of "UK Dictator's To-Dos", I have a strategy to reform the the media as well. Perhaps the Government should restrict access to information according to the sobriety and accuracy of the reporting by the particular media outlet. Hence an old-style news broadsheet with high journalistic standards might receive good access to Government, whereas a sensationalist rag and/or the BBC might be excluded altogether.

9. Some wise words that now seem to be being erased from the public consciousness here in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Permanent Outrage…

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"Sticks and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

• Like Like x 1
  10. I hope binky Balls was hurt after all might like a dose of his own treatment not shy of digging dirt on others and releasing it to the press the c**t

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

In fairness to Cameron I too thought Ed Balls had tourettes
    Everytime I see the man the words ****ing cunty bastard whizz round my head I must have thought he was saying them hence the tourettes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Do that, and they'll just do what they do now when starved of access - make it up as they go along.

13. Tourettes by proxy?

14. Me and the BBC don't agree on what is an outrage. Me and Hitler on the other hand.

15. Despite my being offended by his long hair, poor grooming and country of origin, this chap has the right of it:

• Like Like x 3