Is the pet food you are serving up killing your pet?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Interesting article in The Daily Hate.
    Ugly,being as you're into the hunting thing & have gun dog's as are my family,I'd be interesed in your view.

2. I have six cats.
    3 of them are at least 16 years old and one of them probably closer 18, all of them have lived for the last 14 years on dried food without the slightest problem, non of them have ever been to the vet in that time and are all in good (if a little elderly) health.
  3. Tis true.....

Some pet foods contain high levels of sugars and salt, also colourings and preservative which have been banned from human foodstuffs due to them being carcinogenic or precursors to ADHD.
    If someone comes to me with an out of control or naughty dog first thing I ask is what are they feeding it.
    Unfortunately it is mostly the easy to get hold of brands found in supermarkets that are the worst.
  4. I wouldn't say the food is killing them. My car when it went over the neighbours cat is an entirely different situation............................. :oops:
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The's a couple good threads HERE on cats feeding.I think you can feed them raw tho.
  6. We feed our greyhound Max on a complete dry mixture which is recomended by the local greyhound rescue centre and this is supplemented by fresh scraps and leftovers and with food we make up for him ourselves. This way we can control what goes into his food and make sure that he gets what is good for him.

His favourite is fresh black pudding mixed in with his breakfast, and he is also rather partial to pasta for tea.

Last night he had some beef goulash and dumplings mixed in with his biscuit.

He gets a boiled egg once a week as a treat and a couple of spoonfuls of cod liver oil and olive oil for his joints and to keep his fur in good condition.

7. I wonder whether the animals who've died have always had access to plenty of water to flush out toxins and to prevent them becoming dehydrated. We've always fed our cats on a mixture of wet and dry food, with occasional treats of fresh meat and they've always had plenty of water to drink. My cats have a particular love of fruit, but I don't give them too much too often as they get a little hyper from the sugar rush!
  8. I tend to feed my GSDs the same stuff as I eat, with some dry food as supliment, tonight that will be spicy mince with peas and new potatos, dos'nt seem to do them any harm
  9. Always a great disappointment with my dogs that they have all been too lazy to go find their own food, and when they find it don't quite seem to know what to do with it. The last Jack Russell showed the greatest promise at self feeding, on seeing the elephants at the local safari park, but I roughly calculated how many freezers I would need to avoid waste, so reluctantly feed them myself.

Seriously when I look at the trash people fill their supermarket trolleys to feed themselves with, I am totally unsurprised they don't consider what a dog needs. Dogs are omniverous and not hard to feed cheaply.

Some of the working dog mixes are quite good when you look at the content, but most of the supermarket stuff I wouldn't feed a rat on!

The other factor is value in nourishment for money paid, and pet food is near as dear as decent human food and someties appreciably dearer protein per pound.

Chickens are dirt cheap, and a dog doesnt need a fine wine sauce, just roasted and pulled apart from the bones, and careful late-shopping has got me chickens down to 50p, quickly cooked and froz! I don't overdo liver, though cheap, I worry a bit about building up chemicals a dog's liver cannot handle; but kidney, heart, and any meat that is knocked down at the end of a supermarket day can be easily bulk-cooked and frozen. Sausages are now dirt cheap as is supermarket mince. In addition, dogs generally eat most vegetables.
    Plain meal for dogs can be good, but mine also get potato, pasta, (that's dirt cheap too!), or whatever is going.

Dogs taste varies as well, one of my current pair is keen on apple cores, grapes and bananas, whilst the other sees that as beneath her.

I will say both mine get significant exercise and I will have to watch them as they get older on fats etc if they start to put on excess weight, but by and large I wouldn't get finicky, just throw at them!
  10. I have fed my dog on raw food - chickens (bones and all), turkey necks, liver, leg of lamb, tripe, fish - all uncooked and he loves it. No health problems whatsover, great teeth and loads of energy. The only problem is getting the balance right. Too much bone and the poops become hard and dry, too little they are too soft. You also have to ensure that they are not getting too much protein or too much of a particular type of protein because that can have massive health implications. They do need extra supplements just to make sure that they are getting everything they need.

As was mentioned in the article, the majority of vets have no clue about nutrition in animals as the whole week of training they do receive, is sponsored by Dog Food manufacturers!

Essentially dry foods evolved out of laziness of dog owners and clever food producers who had loads of low quality by-products and nothing to do with them. Dry food is an all in one meal that owners can stick down, that does not smell (too badly) and comes in a convenient sized bag for a very cheap price.

And this is why no one see's white dog poo anymore - people give their dogs less bone now than they did years ago !
  11. There was a very large-scale, ten-year study (20,000+ dogs) done in the USA a few years ago, where half the dogs in the study were fed half the amount of dog food recommended on the tin/packet by the manufacturer for their lifetime. These dogs were demonstrated to be generally much healthier, fitter and longer-lived than those dogs that had been fed the full recommended amount.

It's also worth mentioning that dogs can also suffer from most of the same health problems associated with eating raw meat as we do!

The problem therefore may actually be the amount that food that pets are fed, rather than the type of food.

My dog (8 year-old mental spaniel-collie cross with the attention-span of a guppy) gets one pouch of dog food per day, plus a handful of mixer (about half what the manufacturer recommends) and thrives on it. My mate's spaniels meanwhile get the recommened daily amount of food and are lard-arses with health problems.
  12. Mine get raw now and then but it has to be chopped or minced...if whole they just bury it!! its a nightmare....
  13. Spicy mince makes my Dobermann produce ocean-going farts.
  14. An important point here to understand is that Vets get paid commission for pushing a particular product, Hills Science Diet is popular through Vets and is possibly the most expensive pet food on the planet (Eukanuba is another).

The reality is that unless your animal already has some kind of sensitive condition where a particular diet is essential, as some humans do, then a good old mix of anything and everything is probably best.
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Even tho I leave Daisy Cat a big pan of water out,I've never seen her drink in the 4 month's I've had her.She get's wet KitECat & Purely with a bowl of Purina dry left out.