Is the Pakistan Army brave enough to make peace?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rayc, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Is the Pakistan Army brave enough to make peace?

Is the Pakistan Army brave enough to make peace? | The Broad Mind

2. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS)

3. Rayc

Rayc RIP

[​IMG]

The roots of the conflict over Siachen lie in the non-demarcations on the western side of the map beyond a grid point known as NJ 9842. Hostilities between India and Pakistan over ownership of the Glacier date back to the first Indo-Pak war of 1948, over the territorial dispute of Jammu & Kashmir. A Cease-Fire Line (CFL) was established as a result of the 1949 Indo-Pak agreement that concluded the war in Jammu & Kashmir. The CFL ran along the international Indo-Pak border and then north and northeast until map grid-point NJ 9842, located near the Shyok River at the base of the Saltoro mountain range. Because no Indian or Pakistani troops were present in the geographically inhospitable northeastern areas beyond NJ 9842, the CFL was not delineated as far as the Chinese border. Both sides agreed, in vague language, that the CFL extends to the terminal point, NJ 9842, and "thence north to the Glaciers".

India's 'North' lies along the ridgeline North (yellow line) and Pakistan's 'North' goes North East (red line)!

4. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The version from Pakistan

The fight for Siachen
    By Javed Hussain (a retired Brigadier of the SSG)
    Published in The Express Tribune (a Pakistani newspaper) April 22, 2012

Worthy of note is that the Pakistan Brigadier states that Northward (as was in the Agreement on the Cease Fire Line) would mean Siachen and Soltoro is India's.

Going East instead of North would mean it is Pakistan's!

5. IMHO it depends on what matters more to the Pakistanis. Is it money or religious hatred? I assume that ending the fighting would cut government costs. Or is the war financially profitable for their elite? The war does not seem to stop the rest of the world from trading with either Pakistan or India.

6. Any chance that the people living there could decide?

7. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Is the Pakistan Army brave enough to make peace? Simply? No.

8. Rayc

Rayc RIP

NO one loves there and no one can!

As no one can live in and around Mount Everest!

9. The Glacier and all the time, blood and treasure spent by both sides on it represent simultaneously a colossal waste of resources and a typical Indo-Pak cock-measuring competition. The military solution is screamingly obvious, but depends ultimately on politicians on either side having the cojones to sit down and agree that it's not worth the bones of a single Rajput Grenadier, to paraphrase. Until the political top cover is given, the two militaries are condemned to sit glowering glumly at each other way above the 12,000 foot point for no conceivable benefit.

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Given that (alleged) ISI agent s have been arrested trying to smuggle large amounts of explosives into Kabul for an (alleged) attack on GOIRA/ISAAF or anyone else I'd say its a fair bet they a re not interested in making peace.

Indeed the cynic in me wonders if Pakistan (like Saudi Arabia) is part of the problem not part of the solution.

11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

If the Siachen is demilitarised and Pakistan surreptitiously occupies it, India can never get it back since it takes 26 days just for acclimatisation!

And it is very difficult to capture any heights that are held.

It will then make a continuous land mass from Pakistan to Aksai Chin (held by China) and Ladakh will be left for the pickings for both China and Pakistan!

Tough choice for India and that is why the occupied in the first place and is maintain it with such costs!

That Pakistan will honour any Agreement is moot!

The Line of Control was demarcated in 1971 between India and Pakistan at Suchetgarh, after the 1971 War.

Notwithstanding that demarcation, Pakistan surreptitiously occupied Kargil Heights in 1999 and it took many Indian lives to recapture those heights once again!

• Like Like x 1

12. Trust Pakistan with an Agreement? Yeah sure, we can as well trust Al-Qaeda with World Peace :nod:

13. In this day and age surely India can build a high tech fortress that can accommodate a fighting force more adequately. By the sounds of it, at least what I've read about it, they are huddled in tents and are losing blokes to exposure every day!

14. The whole area is utterly useless to anyone its like sending a force to seize the mariannas trench :(

15. Speaking of Siachen glacier and the day to the day lives of the soldiers who fight for a piece of the inhospitable land, a really good article an Indian friend of mine forwarded me a few years ago:

The Coldest War | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com

Some excerpts :

It's all just bat shit crazy! But we humans are bent on self destruction, so doesn't surprise me.