Is the lack of military service the cause of our very poor politicians?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by headgear, Nov 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yet we still vote for them. No doubt in a desperate attempt to ensure the least damaging option is given leave to fuck up everything they touch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. But the bloke with 20 years experience will have a multitude of Non-Exec directorships and advisory jobs to supplement their meager income. The new bloke is useful to no-one, so he's on basic

The other thing you're confusing is experience with ability & effectiveness. Some of the most useless MP's in the Commons, and the ones who contribute the least are also unsurprisingly, the longest served

3. You should read this.
    It's a really good read and takes a perspective insight into what makes an MP, and more importantly, why people want to be an MP.

Granted, it's 15 yrs old, so the whole Youth Activist > Oxford PPE > SPAD > MP thing hadn't reached its peak, but it's gives you an idea. Strangely (15 yrs ago) Paxo's hypothesis is that they really all do it due to a sense of service to the people/country

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. And this bloke at the 20 year period of his working life had done his military service, returned to civvie street and resumed his carrer in heavy construction, night school, more qualifications, more hands on experience, promoted to foreman, running jobs, and one occasion the whole site, and yet still on comparatively low wages, compared to a mid 30s MP newly elected, with no worldly experience and expected to represent many thousands of its constituents. When I retired at 66 I was still on a much lower wage than my now 31 year old MP. I still get job offers, why do you think that is? And as your last post mentions long carrer MPs who languish in the Westminster bubble, no really good promotion prospects, but they don't really need them, not on £76k a year+ perks and expenses, and they wonder in their naïve simplicicty why the oiks out there in the real world hate and despise them.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I used to hold the same view, but that view is actually rather naive. In most cases, you are dealing with former officers. I’ve served with some cracking commissioned blokes, and also a fair few useless bellends. If that is a reflection of society and represents diversity, then fair enough, but I think Jim 30 has it pretty much in a nutshell.
    Any former officer with the selfless leadership qualities to make a good MP, would have the sense to disbar himself from such a group of self serving and nasty hypocrites.

• Like Like x 2
  6. She's all yours.....

• Funny Funny x 1

7. ... if that were true ? why his his hand where it is then ??? :D

8. He's using his imagination, looking forward to being alone with the guys below decks

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Good read is that, didn't realise it was 15 years mind.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Quite frankly he could do what he wanted! He would have had my support regardless.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Who is the other chap,is it Clement Atlee?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Looks like him, Brave chap wounded in WW1 served at Gallipoli, Mesopotamia and France.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. A Labour PM with guts,makes a change.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We very nearly didn't get him, Harold Lasky tried to stop him on the day he went to Buckingham Palace the tosser.