Is the lack of military service the cause of our very poor politicians?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by headgear, Nov 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watching the Cenotaph remembrance parade today I was struck by the lack of service medals on display by our leading politicians
    [​IMG]

On reflection, I believe this is a big part of the current problem we have on all sides of the house, namely, a lack of discipline, courage, respect, integrity, leadership, management and cohesion. We can see it in the constant u-turns and lack of conviction and most importantly none are prepared to self sacrifice their careers to do their best for the country in the face of any wingeing from the media or pressure groups.

Of course I could be wrong that the lack of military experience is the root cause of the issue but one thing I can say is that the lack of it certainly hasn't produced any outstanding characters in this particular generation!

• Like Like x 11
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Gout Man

Gout Man LE Book Reviewer

I wouldn't have had them in my Regiment!

• Like Like x 5
  3. No it is not.

Our problems with politicians come about because anyone prepared to invest in a career in politics is fundamentally going to be a person with a different mindset to others. Its a role requiring a serious level of being an utter **** to anyone who threatens you, and ruthlessly knifing people in the back.

Its not a new thing, and frankly I don't think being ex military makes any difference. I have met and worked with ex-mil MP's who were utter *****. Their prior service didnt change this fact.

I also think the more we insist on people having served to be MP's, the more we come across as special snowflakes who insist that we're very special because. We need to man up, accept we represent a tiny fraction of society and work to whomever the people chose to represent and lead us.

• Like Like x 72
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. Not necessarily a lack of a military background - I suggest it’s more to do with the vast majority of them coming from a background of Political activists, trade unionists and SPADs, without ever having dipped their toes into anything resembling a job in the world we occupy. Massive egos and self interest is also a requirement.

• Like Like x 51
  5. agree - I think people should have to have done a real job for 10 years before they can stand for parliament

• Like Like x 22
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Agreed now being a politician is a career there is no actual "real life" experience just up up the ziggurat lickety-split! And up yours jack.

• Like Like x 10
  7. The Third Collapsing Fusileers would snap them up in a shot!

Edited to add - Is it wrong to look at that photo and be thinking 'Theresa May has a pretty decent set of pins on her"?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. I agree -

But I do feel we have to few politicians particularly at the upper echelons who have been anything other than politicians.
    Theres therefore little or no Brownian motion of other mindsets or ideas and plenty of scope for group think.

Rather than a lack of military service - I think its a lack of other careers in general amongst the political leadership.

I do feel we would be better served if politicians had to have had a career before entering politics

FFS look at Corbyn " anti establishment rebel" you dont get much bloody more establishment than leaving college and spending the next 40 years as a back bencher.

Edit on reading posts made whilst I compiled this it appears that's unanimous

• Like Like x 19
  9. That sailor behind her doesn't agree with you

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. "On reflection, I believe this is a big part of the current problem we have on all sides of the house, namely, a lack of discipline, courage, respect, integrity, leadership, management and cohesion."

Ironically, you've also described traits sometimes lacking in today's modern forward thinking and vibrant Army....

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gout Man

Gout Man LE Book Reviewer

Very wrong. Pull yourself together and have a word with yourself.;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Not wrong as such but think about that face at the height of sexual ecstasy while they're wrapped about your back.

Sweet dreams.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It boils down to ambition over principals, the same in every walk of life. The problem with the political club is that it is, in reality, a closed shop and as with any closed shop it is a jobs for mates culture.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The politicians have the esteemed former soldier among their benches to look up to. I give you Colonel (Retd) Bob Stewart MP who was the Commander of Bosnia as the Beeb keep telling us.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. that sounds identical to how the Army manages its careers then?

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4